Controlling Dacmagic volume using PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some help please DIY'ers! I've just hooked a new Cambridge audio Dacmagic to my PC via USB and it's almost uncontrollably loud. :(

I was hoping to use it directly into a power amp and control the levels the windows volume control in the usual way. Unfortunately, the C-media driver seems to just ignore Windows' master volume control and I have to rely only on the individual application volume levels in Windows Vista.

-I have to keep the application volumes in windows mixer really low.

-I have to keep the volume very low in Windows media player/Spotify etc

-I have to keep Windows' sounds as low as possible to stop notifications being deafeningly loud!:D

-The main Windows volume control has no effect on the overall sound levels even when muted!

I was using a Presonus Firewire before and it worked great, directly into the power amp, using windows to control the overall volume level.

I'd rather not use an outboard attenuator if at all possible. Does anyone know a practical way to control the Dacmagic through Windows?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's strange. All the C-media chips I've used worked well with the standard Windows and Linux drivers, Mac too, IIRC.

Have you had a look at your windoze control panel? Maybe something there.
Too bad you have to use different apps, it would not be such a pain if you used only one.

And you still might want to use an attenuator between your DAC and the amp. That way you don't have to run the DAC volume so low. Keep it up "out of the dirt", so to speak.

Will be interesting to see what other ideas pop up in this thread. Not a problem I've seen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.