constant current source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DELITE AMP WITH CCS

Hello Nelson: I just want to clear up one concern about coupling the IXYS part to a current source,actually it's pretty robust and I'll only be running it at a third of it's potential biased between 1.75-2amps. I was thinking of just making a simple one mosfet current source like in the original zen circuit,and using between 6-10db of feedback, because of my age my hearing rolls off at just past 11k anyway so there's no need for me to build a sophisticated unit and the other thing about the drain potential, as long as its connected to speaker load is there a problem as earlier mentioned being it's a depletion mode device? I think you said the distortion was at the higher end of the audio spectrum with the IXYS fet.If the drain does require a set value what is resonable?:scratch1:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We're on a boat. We're in the bay (SF is best). There's a good wind.

Here. Take the tiller. What's the worst that can happen?

(Just ask my wife - this happened on Variac's boat)

The point is: People got wet but everyone survived and have some memories.

Set $10 aside from your life savings and try a few experiments and see what
you get. If it's a depletion mode device, put some resistance in series with
the Source to ground, say 1 or 2 ohms for starters, and set the Drain
voltage at half the supply voltage, and adjust the current to stay at a reasonable
but high temperature (can you put your hand on the sink).

What's the worst that can happen?

Report back, so we know what not to do...

:cool:

I forgot to mention - I was the tillerman on that boat :)

Stay afloat

Ok guys no more dumb questions for now, As soon as I finish I'll report back and tell you good stuff I'm very careful and maybe too much, so it won't be bad just different arrr Billy hold on to that wheel!:rolleyes: I'll dust off my antique variac it's good to see a little smoke before the fire!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.