Constant Current Pros and Cons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
WuYit's B and C seem to be the same even order products. In my tinkerings , hooking output stages to electric range calrods , I have seen these non-linearities in the voltage stage (VAS). To make the point , he left out what a odd order non-linearity looks like.... OS

I think it was the Wiki author or other source who was trying to manipulate the results there. You don't find too many audio distortions with H6 @ 5% and H2 only 0.2%.

BTW You'd better get the range back together if you expect supper any time soon :D

Jan, I have to agree there. It is most difficult to find rationale in these shifting, uncertain and uninformed statements. Syn08 had a couple of acronyms for guys with this problem generally; MAAW comes to mind. 'Cryptic, but the "middle aged" bit get's all of us sometime.

Last edited:
MiiB,
Are you trying to say that the higher order harmonic content should be as low as possible...
Yes, it´s exactly what I´m saying.
and that 1% second order with no higher order is better than 0.001% total harmonic distortion with some higher order harmonics....??
1% THD is preferable over 0.001% THD if the distortion is mainly low order and the high order distortions are small, although it´s a thousand times higher level. The motto is: level is nothing, spectrum is everything.
The question is how to accomplish that in power amplifiers, distortions have a strong propensity to rise with frequency, are rarely linear, rather nonlinear symmetrical and nonlinear asymmetrical, comprising a higher level of much more annoying high frequency intermodulation products. Solid state devices (especially bipolars) don`t exhibit a tube-like nonlinearity.
I don't see the point in what you're trying to tell. apart from the fact that you only see single ended designs as valid for sound reproduction
Hopfully, you will see the point some sunny day.
The single-ended topology produces the lowest distortion and the most pleasing sound spectrum. I don`t reject other topologies, I`m using other topologies, but I have to be honest with myself and with others.
...and yet there you ignore the differences there is in the Vladimir (Andrea Ciuffoli) concept and the Pavel Macura concept...
I ignore and avoid tricks, tricks hit back hard. By Ciuffoli`s concept nothing is gained. How could I argue with that man about concepts?
Single Ended/Push Pull Amplifier
There are surely better sources of knowledge.

Then a simple amplifier with these specs (simulated) must be something good...:)

Harmonic Frequency Fourier Normalized Phase Normalized
Number [Hz] Component Component [degree] Phase [deg]
1 1.000e+03 2.271e+00 1.000e+00 -0.06° 0.00°
2 2.000e+03 2.384e-07 1.049e-07 -35.72° -35.67°
3 3.000e+03 2.562e-08 1.128e-08 22.05° 22.11°
4 4.000e+03 8.751e-11 3.853e-11 -112.44° -112.38°
5 5.000e+03 2.749e-10 1.210e-10 -88.62° -88.57°
6 6.000e+03 1.549e-10 6.820e-11 4.71° 4.76°
7 7.000e+03 2.362e-10 1.040e-10 109.99° 110.04°
8 8.000e+03 1.296e-10 5.706e-11 162.53° 162.58°
9 9.000e+03 1.373e-10 6.044e-11 -8.09° -8.04°
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.000011%

Attachments

• FFT 10V out.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 70
I ignore and avoid tricks, tricks hit back hard. By Ciuffoli`s concept nothing is gained. How could I argue with that man about concepts?
Single Ended/Push Pull Amplifier
There are surely better sources of knowledge.

I have newer read his site so I would not know how good his other concepts are.. And why should I judge this concept by what other idea he has been working with.. bit like looking at the messenger and thus rejecting all. I like the open minded approach where all new ideas could yield something spectacular..

And frankly the differences on the two concepts have been supported by quite a few good people in here..

I had a quick look at that link - it's good to see somebody having fun with these experiments. I think I've seen some very similar ideas explored in some depth before on the tubes-valves forum.

But I agree with WuYit in that there are subtleties not always appreciated. For example, the idea that a push-pull transformer can be used as a single ended transformer by simply ensuring the dc currents balance out is, I suspect, not a complete solution and we might be fooling ourselves if we thought they were one and the same. One of the key things about a SE output transformer is that it remains constantly magnetized by the standing dc current flowing through it and therefore the signal traverses a different part of the hysteresis curve than would be the case for a push pull output transformer. So in at least this one regard I don't view what Ciuffoli has done here is equivalent to a SE tube amplifier even though it may technically be classed as operating single ended.

MiiB,
AC means currents and voltages that change direction and polarity, respectively, over time. Any point in a circuit that does not change potential, like the power supply rails, is an AC ground.
Electrons don`t care about pompous concepts and don`t read schematics, they only will return to their source.

Jan,
Some of his text is verbatim cut-&-past from elsewhere, like wikipedia. Some of it is factually correct, but because he a) doesn't understand what it means and b) buries it in a lot of pseudo-babble means it's more confusing than anything else.
You have the opportunity to give a revised definition that is not buried in verbatim pseudo-babble, otherwise one can easily get the impression that you don't understand.

1% THD is preferable over 0.001% THD if the distortion is mainly low order and the high order distortions are small, although it´s a thousand times higher level. The motto is: level is nothing, spectrum is everything.

Thd spectrum can be everything provided the level is high
enough to be heard.
0.001% is 100db BELOW the output level, so in essence, you are
saying that you can hear the noise of a CD while the amp is running
at say a comfortable level...
At such THD ratios, the harmonics are buried in the amp s and source
noises, and can be measured by sophisticated instruments only using
an averaging to extract the said harmonics from the dominating
noise level...

wahab,
I just was using Mike´s figures for demonstration purposes, the 10% : 0.01% ratio would have been more realistic. The message should be clear anyway.
Thd spectrum can be everything provided the level is high
enough to be heard.
That`s an unfortunate formulation. There´s an audibility aspect, but not in the way you are suggesting. The audibility level depends on harmonic order; that is high for low order distortion and low for high order distortion, the latter is always accompanied by a much higher level of nasty intermodulation products. Dynamically, the simulated or measured static distortion will rise dramatically and unpredictably (along with the dynamic noise floor) loosing entirely its already negligible validity. This applies for amplifiers with global feedback.

Bonsai,
Better for WuYit to have said 'I prefer the sound of an amplifer with even order the harmonics over one that has distortion components below the noise floor ' than to make a statement like that!
I meant something else. Missing odd order harmonics would be equally undesirable. A healthy spectrum and low THD are incompatible.

Hi Bonsai, Wuyit is somewhat an extremist audio amateur.

Wuyit, noise wise there s a particular situation where feedback based
amps produce huge amount of noise, but it s just not important..

Suppose we feed the input with a square signal.
During the rise time, there s no NFB, and the amp
is at his maximal OLG, so the EIN is amplified in a
large magnitude, but then , this rise time being very short,
the equivalent noise density vs time is very low.
Provided the input signal slope doesn t exceed the amp s
maximal slew rate, the NFB will be fully functionnal and the
gain will stay at the closed loop gain value...

As for your exemple of THD , 10% is just unlistenable,
whatever the THD content, and 0.01% , be it with the less
musical harmonics only, is infinitly better.
So you started from a bad exemple and ended with a worse one.

Last edited:
It´s not about rise time.There are quite many types of static noise identified, but the dynamic noise is clearly worse as it directly modulates the signal and is raised by the very same feedback mechanism that converts benign low order harmonics into high frequency dirt, resulting in a hard, cold and lifeless sound deprived from its harmonic content, and not a single spectral component being nearly correctly represented in time.
As for your exemple of THD , 10% is just unlistenable,
whatever the THD content, and 0.01% , be it with the less
musical harmonics only, is infinitly better.
So you started from a bad exemple and ended with a worse one.
Well, you have apparently made your choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.