Considering sealed vs vented for my AV12 subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what is the concept behind the first one?

I can't see any advantage of combining a circular and rectangular port. Rectangular ports can wrap around a box and thus be long, where cylinders need bends which are difficult to accomodate, and they can be 90degree bends. However the volume occupied is large - cylinders can have very thin walls. Am I missing something?

The volume taken up is more because rectangular ports have thick walls since they are flat and not cylindrical. I still see no advantage, only extra complexity. Further, it is more difficult to predict the performance, and so you can't be quite as such what result you will get. It looks like the tuning will be changed, unless of course the cross sectional area is constant, in which case you hope nothing will change the tuning. If this is so, then if the circular section needs flares, then so does the rectangular section of the vent - now this is more difficult

simon5 said:
That idea is evil, I think you can do a very long port with it using minimal space! It's even easy to do!

that's right Simon!
easy and sound good. so, why you wrote "evil" as well?
it's nice solution for get long port for minimum box size.
friends, my English is poor. would you, somebody translate my sentences to human language? :) I'll be be obliged

ok. however I use another type of port in my sub woofer.
you can see it there:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

it's foam-rubber tube inside. but it's solid.
which diameter I have to calculate for TS? foam or plastic?
I think it's different for different wave length.
I got more flat response.

I wrote evil because it's a new and effective design that I have never seen before.

You could try it as an experiment if you have cheap pipes around, but I recommend you to use a more standard design if you can't afford to see how that crazy idea will sound in real life.

You might have port noise which is bad.

The only advantage I can see that the foam gives will be to damp out midrange reflections in the tube. As the foam is fairly solid it will just make the vent seem smaller diameter and the wind noise increase. For a sub there is no need to damp the midrange as you filter it out anyway.

On your other vent-in-vent design, won't the overall volume occupied by the vent be the same as a conventional vent?

hello all!
Simon! any of port design, which I show for you in http://www.artmaydan.org.ua/port.html are made before.
almost the same result. it's working in compliance with TS calculation.
my best goal - make minimum box size for lowest fr response.
I have lot design also except these.
now I can't work normaly, couse my country live in revolution till now. http://www.artmaydan.org.ua/revolution.html
I don't like it. however we've select President again Dec 26.
it should be selebration, or war.
apropos, lot of american and other foriner will comming Ukraine Dec 26 for revolution participation. should you want to cry, shout, scream, yell, brandish flag's, you will be welcome to my city. :)
it will be very exating, enthralling sight.
when and where you'll be able to do it again?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.