• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Conrad Johnson ART preamp question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks to share Your experience!

I know that my schematic is not same. I never did exact copy of any amplifier. I just like the simplicity, and I want to make my version.
So I really like the E88CC version, but I can build the dual 6H30 shorter signal path. The only question is the bias I should use. I don't want to try lot version because the high quality resistors costs lot of money.

Sajti

;) then look at graphs , do not use Spice for that ;

try with ordinary resistors and - when you find your sweet spot - replace them with precious ones .

From what I've read, I believe the ART uses a separate coupling capacitor for each tube. That adds considerably to the cost of the preamp since the coupling caps are Teflons.

nope . I can tell you that coupling cap is 3x2uF , parallel , common for all anodes

say that all anodes share saame anode load resistor ( even if made of several ones - each connected to one anode ;Sajti's schematic is almost on spot with value . )

;) then look at graphs , do not use Spice for that ;

try with ordinary resistors and - when you find your sweet spot - replace them with precious ones .

I used spice to find some technically good bias point.
I will do the listening. Just odered some resistors from Partsconnexion, for the E88CC version.

nope . I can tell you that coupling cap is 3x2uF , parallel , common for all anodes

say that all anodes share saame anode load resistor ( even if made of several ones - each connected to one anode ;Sajti's schematic is almost on spot with value . )

My version use only 4xE88CC, because I don't really need as low output impedance as the original design.
Nice to hear that my values are close, because I have never seen the schematic. Just read about the preamp.

Sajti

Smoother warmups

Soft start and abrupt delayed start are totally different kinds of fish.

Here is my own soft start version: reference voltage for B+ is taken from bias shunt regulator. Since both regulators are in series, time constant depends on current drawn from B+, so the stabilizer literally waits for tubes to heat up to start drawing current, then slowly brings up B+ voltage.

I had an idea once to put a big power resistor in series right after the rectifier tube, so it and the filter caps would create a time constant of say 30 sec. After that a switch would bypass the resistor.

Dunno if it would actually work, tho, and the resistor would get unwieldly for any amp bigger than a headphone amp.

The idea was to eliminate the full plate voltage hitting the tubes all at once.

Your thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.