Connections of RCA Ground with separate mono blocks in same chassis

IMG_20240319_220323.jpg
Masters - please suggest where to connect RCA ground while having two separate power amplifier blocks, and how to connect chassis ground with two power grounds available, as if both grounds are connected with chassis humming started due to looping created same is with RCA ground connection with potentiometer ground shorting. Please suggest me for proper solution, thanks in advance

Joined 2011
The isolated RCA input grounds must individually go to the amplifier (-) input terminals, and not be connected together.

The amplifier power grounds can each go to the chassis, either directly, or each through a safety network
of parallel R, C, and high current diodes. The latter connection may yield less hum in the complete system.
Regardless, each audio channel can only be connected to the chassis at one point.

Thanks for reply, at RCA input the source like aux is a common ground, then what is the significance of separate input signal ground to amplifier input ground, and with commoning PSU ground with chassis I am getting hum that's why one Ground is left open, solution for this is required

Joined 2011
Yes, it is true that most stereo components have such an inherent ground loop.

However, if you use the second option of connecting an impedance in each power ground connection to the chassis,
the ground loop due to the source will not be completed.
But the grounds of the input RCA connectors also must be isolated both from chassis ground, and from each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
If it's really 10k ohms, that's too large. You want around 10 ohms instead.
For testing you can use a 10 ohm, 2W resistor.

A thermistor is used for safety. If there is a problem like a short to ground, it will conduct fault current
and become a low resistance by heating up. Then the AC line fuse will blow.

Dear Sir, in my assembly I used two different power supply blocks, when I connect one PSU ground with chassis then it's ok, but ASAP I connect the other supply ground to the chassis humming started that' s why I only connected one Ground and the other one is open, and the input RCA ground is common at volume potentiometer

Joined 2012
Paid Member
rayma and jan.didden have given good advice.

Use a "ground lift" - either a 10 Ohm thermistor such as a CL60 at each power supply ground to chassis/safety ground. An alternate to the CL60 is this:

Safety-Ground.png

Secondly, connect each RCA input ground separately to its respective amplifier channel's audio board ground. Do not tie the two channel audio grounds together.

For lowest noise, connect each channel's speaker ground to the audio board ground.

Also for lowest noise, at each channel twist together the V+, V-, and G wires to from the power supply to the audio board. Twist together the signal positive and ground wires from the RCA jack to the audio board, and twist together the speaker positive and ground wires from the speaker terminals to the audio board.

Also make sure that the RCA jacks are isolated from the chassis with plastic washers.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your valuable inputs, I will try as suggested, one thing I faced as mentioned below :
One thing I came across, when checking in amplifier for speaker ground wire location,
1) when connected to speaker terminal there is a little humm audible
2) when I connect the speaker wire ground direct to PCB ground speaker terminal then noise increased
3) when connected speaker ground wire to power ground same noise there
4) then connected speaker wire on terminal again and added a 4.7 ohms resistance in series with ground terminal of speaker terminal, the minor humm in sr no. 1 almost diminished