Coniston: Construction Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

Quick question for those that have built a Coniston or a Lotus with the angled top to the cabinet, how did you cut the angle in the side panels? I'm just trying to work out the best way of doing this for my build. I've got access to a range of professional/industrial tools for the job i.e tables saws, radial arm cross cut saw etc. courtesy of the woodshop at the local college which runs an evening course. Any tips/suggestions would be welcomed.

Regards,
Ewan

I've built both and I've run into the same problem that I suspect you are having. Does your table saw go past 45 degrees? Mine didn't, and here is how you solve the problem if it doesn't.

You would normally lay the board flat on the top of the table and push it across with the blade angled. Let's say it's set at 40 degrees. But if you want a 60 degree cut you'll need to do something different. Move the fence back and use another piece of wood between the fence and the piece of wood you want to cut. Hold them together as tight as possible. This will place the fence (and your fingers) farther from the blade and will allow you to put downward pressure on the wood without it falling into the blade. You're going to want to angle this piece VERTICALLY instead of laying it flat on the table top.

The result will = 90-saw setting.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Oh wait, I just read you meant the side panels. That was a very interesting cut indeed. You might be better off drawing a line then clamping a piece of wood as a guide and running a router through it.

I did it on a table saw when I made mine and it's VERY hard since you're cutting a small part of a LARGE board. It's certainly a challenge.

This sounds like a fairly easy way to do it that doesn't involve building additional jigs, working out angles, having to handle a large piece of wood through a saw etc. So I think I'll give this approach a go.

Cheers,
Ewan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.