Conflicting data on proper box size for Dayton reference HO's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Yeah i'm going to have to go over this. Are you able to model something for me real quick when/if you have time? I bought the box i listed in a previous post. I can modify it according to whatever the subs will be best in. I'm hoping for 115ish db. I haven't bought the subs yet so I'm open to suggestions if there is something better in this price range.

Thank you for the help.

I do see that the DVC version has 4db less sens and 2mm extra excursion. It also has a lower f3 sealed. Is none of the relevant to clarity or output in my situation?

Dayton list sensitivity at 2.83v regardless of impedence. The lower the impedence, the more power it is getting.

2.83v is 1w at EIGHT ohms, at 4 ohms it is 2w etc. Therefore it is likely the dvc has been measured with the coils in series etc.

In reality with the same ACTUAL power, they are basically the same.

Dayton list sensitivity at 2.83v regardless of impedence. The lower the impedence, the more power it is getting.

2.83v is 1w at EIGHT ohms, at 4 ohms it is 2w etc. Therefore it is likely the dvc has been measured with the coils in series etc.

In reality with the same ACTUAL power, they are basically the same.

I plan on feeding them 1k rms each. I'll set gain a little low. Since it's only $6 more I'll get the DVC. Thanks for the help. I'm not totally set on these, as I'm a little afraid their output will be too Mellow.

I have one of these sealed on 650w. How will the Daytons compare in out put/quality? NKO-12 - Dark Audio Industries

Hornresponse. It's probably the biggest thread in this subwoofer forum.

I must have done something wrong. I'm getting very low DB. Here is some screen shots.

Attachments

• lowspl.jpg
    lowspl.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 56
  • lowspl2.jpg
    lowspl2.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 56
It does not look like you entered your speaker's TS parameters into Hornresp, and you've modeled a horn rather than a sealed or ported enclosure.

To get a simulated response reasonably close to what you're cabinet and speaker are requires the proper inputs.

I followed the guide. Theres alot of data no provided on my woofer. Theres also alot of N/A sections that don't apply to my woofer. I've been messing with it for 3 hrs.

If the daytons aren't to my liking i'll send them back and go back to ebay SPL subs. Thanks for your assistance!

Oops! In my haste, I did not scroll down far enough. :(

OK, have no direct experience with any of the parts or even putting a big sub in a truck, so the following is strictly based on published specs and comparing in vehicle response using a [once] popular JBL woofer's with a similar sensitivity as a general guideline: https://www.hobbielektronika.hu/forum/getfile.php?id=189513

Yes, your HO specs are way off. The easy way to input them is to double click on the 'Sd' field and a window will pop up for you to input them. Note that it auto calculates Qts.

I guessed that two would take up approximately 0.3 ft^3, so cab net Vb = ~0.8 ft^3 [ ~22.65 L], so actually either near perfect or maybe too small, though heavy stuffing can offset it if required or just use some low bass boost.

In comparing the response to the JBL, it rolls off quicker, but your truck may have more 'cabin gain' than JBL predicts in a typical car to offset it, indicating it might be too small, though at high power I doubt the difference would not be obvious at these low frequencies, though might sound a bit 'boomy' at modest playback. Again, the usual way to fix it is to add more internal damping.

Attached is my HR file, so download it and put it in HR's 'IMPORT' folder, then in HR click File/Import/Hornresp record, then double click my file and it will load as a new 'Record' for you to do as you please with it.

GM

Attachments

• RSS315HO-4.txt
    1 KB · Views: 30
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.