Compression of water (split from Waveguides)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi MJ,
can you compress water with the force of your hands?
I can compress steel with the force available to my little pinkie.

Try this experiment:
pick up a steel rule, six or 12 inch, it matters not.
Now clasp one end and hold it out horizontally. Use your pinkie to apply a little force to the other end. Press down. The steel rule bends. Try a lighter force, it still bends.
Clamp the rule in a vice. How light a force can you apply and still see the deflection due to the rule bending?

What is happening to the rule while you have been bending it?
One side has been compressing (getting shorter) and the other side has been extending (getting longer).
You have been compressing Steel with the tiniest forces your finger can provide.

Water is even more compressible than steel. Try to find an experiment that shows how compressible. Ah! transmit sound, that should do it.

Wunderland

Looks like Alice is still mired in the rabbit hole... it's amusing how the anti-compression argument spirals 'round and 'round.

Such an extraordinary set of claims should be viable for the Nobel prize in physics, were it to survive peer review after publication, one would think.. eh?

John L.

MJL21193 said:

Ed, Ed, Ed...
Your thinking is too linear. Too 1-dimensional.

Where does the temperature of the water come from if not heat from friction due to molecule motion? Except for absolute zero, molecules are always in motion, creating heat.

This is an interesting backwards look at thermodynamics. I'm beginning to feel like George Burns handing Gracie over to Franklin Pangborn. Have fun folks, this is a waste of time.

MJL21193 said:

Thanks David, this is an interesting look at the situation. Refreshing to be able to discuss the subject reasonably.

I'm not well versed in SONAR transducers, therefore I don't know how they are constructed. It seems reasonable that it would have to be a driving surface that is surrounded by water, otherwise the immense pressure from the water (at ocean depth) would push the driving surface into, say an air space, such as a normal loudspeaker box (crude example but I think you get the picture).
With that assumption, much of the driving surfaces forward motion would result in displacement around it - water displaced from the front would push water in at the back. This is an impedance mismatch between the driver and the medium, similar to a drivers cone and the air - A loss of efficiency.
The "sound" wave that results from the driving surfaces forward motion is as I have described - increased molecule movement. The displacement for this motion would not necessarily happen in a straight column or line, but bloom outwards in three dimensions. The displacement seems like a difficult thing to do, but it's not. An open body of water is not a closed system and minute volume changes can happen with little force.

A SONAR transducer in its most simple form is a puck of ceramic material. We pot these inside of epoxy housings for various reasons, but the essential function of the bare puck can suit our discussion.

Maybe this gif will work:

SchemaPiezo.gif

By applying a very high voltage (thousands of volts) to either metallized surface of the puck, the puck will elongate in shape, like a bipole source. Yes there will be some displaced fluid that "wraps around" the sides of the transducer and cancels out the pressure difference (hence defining the directivity of the transducer). However not all of the displaced molecules will be able to make trip around the sides to equalize the pressure. These molecules will have to be compressed into the adjacent fluid forming a pressure wave.

Keep in mind that the displacements we are talking about are on the micro-inch scale. It doesn't take much of a relative difference in pressure to result in a very large SPL. An underwater SPL of 140 dB (1 uPa reference) will only require 10 Pa (0.00145 psi) of increased pressure.

More important than the amount of displacement or the pressure required is the time aspect of this example.

No signal, whether physical or electrical can travel faster than the speed of light, which is itself finite. If we displace some molecules at the ocean floor and they are hundreds of meters from the surface, the time it takes to displace the molecules at the surface must be a some time other than zero (when the first molecules were displaced). In order for this to occur, there must be compression somewhere in the system until the pressure signal has time to pass through the medium.

Another interesting example would be to consider a long rigid pipe that is full of water. If a valve is opened at the entrance to the pipe, it is required that there be some non-zero amount of time before the water at the exit of the pipe moves in response to the inrush at the valve. I would submit that there must be compression of the water in this circumstance as well.

Replace the valve in the above example with a SONAR transducer. I could place a ceramic puck of equal diameter to the inside diameter of the pipe in the entrance of rigid pipe of water. If I excite this transducer and produce a displacement of the transducer, the water cannot wrap around the sides of the transducer and a plane wave will travel in the water towards the exit. This displacement cannot occur at all places in the water simultaneously or it will violate the speed of light limit, so it travels as a pressure (compression) wave towards the open end of the pipe, the speed at which it travels is the speed of sound.

Regards,
David Malphurs

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
sreten said:

5) Consequently the answer is always the same. The elasticity
of any medium is fundamental to sound wave wave propogation.
You can try convincing yourself otherwise as much as you like.
I have no problem with it whatsoever, neither do the textbooks.

6) Prove 5) to be wrong for the general case, gas, liquid or solid.

Once again, I didn't say that water is inelastic. How many time do I need to say this? Water has elasticity. Got it?

AndrewT said:
Hi MJ,
can you compress water with the force of your hands?
I can compress steel with the force available to my little pinkie.

Try this experiment:
pick up a steel rule, six or 12 inch, it matters not.
Now clasp one end and hold it out horizontally. Use your pinkie to apply a little force to the other end. Press down. The steel rule bends. Try a lighter force, it still bends.
Clamp the rule in a vice. How light a force can you apply and still see the deflection due to the rule bending?

What is happening to the rule while you have been bending it?
One side has been compressing (getting shorter) and the other side has been extending (getting longer).
You have been compressing Steel with the tiniest forces your finger can provide.

Water is even more compressible than steel. Try to find an experiment that shows how compressible. Ah! transmit sound, that should do it.

Hi Andrew,
Nice analogy, but not an accurate one. Compression and tension in your example are stresses and strains. There isn't compression (density increase) of the metals structure in your example.
This is elasticity at work and a good example of it. The bending of the steel ruler deforms the crystal structure of the metal by (you guessed it) displacement.
A text on elasticity will explain it in depth.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
scott wurcer said:

This is an interesting backwards look at thermodynamics. I'm beginning to feel like George Burns handing Gracie over to Franklin Pangborn. Have fun folks, this is a waste of time.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. :)

thoriated said:
I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the most knowledgable scientific experts in the field were to take their valuable time to try to explain to MJL21193 how he is wrong regarding the nature of sound compression waves in water, he would simply throw it back in their faces.

I haven't seen any yet... ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
gtforme00 said:

Replace the valve in the above example with a SONAR transducer. I could place a ceramic puck of equal diameter to the inside diameter of the pipe in the entrance of rigid pipe of water. If I excite this transducer and produce a displacement of the transducer, the water cannot wrap around the sides of the transducer and a plane wave will travel in the water toward the exit. This displacement cannot occur at all places in the water simultaneously or it will violate the speed of light limit, so it travels as a pressure (compression) wave toward the open end of the pipe, the speed at which it travels is the speed of sound.

Regards,
David Malphurs

Hi David,
displacement of water is very easy. Imagine a bathtub. Now the given is that the rim of the bathtub is perfectly level and it is filled with water up to the rim. You slowly put your hand in the water near one side and see what? Water spills from the entire tub, not just from where you've put your hand in.
Now, that's a large displacement with little effort. Millions of molecules were displaced. Get the picture?

Your tube example is an interesting one, but the time lag involved for the water to shoot out of the exit with be very small indeed. Remember, I'm not saying that water is incompressible, just that sound waves travel through a medium primarily by displacement. I have acknowledged that some very slight compression takes place, but it does not factor in as the means of energy transfer.

The transducer in your example would act like a pump and setting the water in motion, not the molecules themselves (although some still may). This is flow (forward and back), not a true sound wave.

materials science

MJL21193 said:

Once again, I didn't say that water is inelastic. How many time do I need to say this? Water has elasticity. Got it?

Hi Andrew,
Nice analogy, but not an accurate one. Compression and tension in your example are stresses and strains. There isn't compression (density increase) of the metals structure in your example.
This is elasticity at work and a good example of it. The bending of the steel ruler deforms the crystal structure of the metal by (you guessed it) displacement.

Do yourself a favor and read an entry level materials science text. Stress/strain have specific definitions in the field, and you've mangled them beyond recognition.

Or, stay in the rabbit hole and continue to look foolish...

JohnL.

contrarian, with a touch of certainty

A contrarian is someone who poses as a skeptic, refusing to accept consensus conclusions in science on the ground that there is still some uncertainty.

...some text deleted...

Contrarians often refer to their endless demands for more study and their claims that doubts still remain—no matter what the consensus—as "sound science," a bit of doublespeak that is the scientific equivalent of the filibuster.

...from another one of those searches.

MJL21193 said:
Compression and tension in your example are stresses and strains. There isn't compression (density increase) of the metals structure in your example.

Really, you're serious? JohnL. may be offering some good advice at this point. And I was even rooting for you for a while John. Oh well, I will continue to observe with my open mind...

MJL21193 said:
I have acknowledged that some very slight compression takes place, but it does not factor in as the means of energy transfer.

You mean like, if I push on a spring that's attached to a ball, and the ball moves, then the spring does not factor in in the energy transfer?

It's true, none of the energy is peranently stored in the spring any more than the molecules remain permanently crowded, but to suggest that either does not factor (participate) in the energy transfer is to deliberately close your eyes to the reality. How else can the energy be transferred other than via the mutual repulsion of the electrons in their orbitals?

If you are saying that the compression is small compared to a molecular diameter, well and good, but it is mischevous to attempt to subvert the compression model of the process, since it permits meaningful predictions which are only obfuscated by your position.

w

I don't know why this discussion (which should have been the simplest of all time) got to me so much but I just couldn't leave it alone without asking an expert to confirm we're not all taking crazy pills. I'm leaving the man's name out of this because it was gracious enough of him to answer an unsolicited email from me. The last thing I want to do is drag him into this. but he's a professor at an american university and one of his areas of expertise is underwater acoustics.

this is my email and his response:

Hello professor (removed). If you had a moment I wondered if you could answer a simple acoustics question that I haven't been able to answer for myself.

The question assumes a sealed tank or container whose walls are infinitely stiff and is filled with nothing but water, all air evacuated. If a sound source was submerged at one end of this tank would a receiver at the other end hear anything?

This question stems from a group discussion about the compressibility of water. It has been argued by some that because of water's resistance to compression sound propagation must require displacement instead of compression. In the sealed tank there could be no displacement so by that logic no sound should travel in this experiment. That seems illogical to me but I have no way of testing it.

I'm sorry to write you without any introduction and I apologize if this is just more email clutter for you to deal with. Sincerely,

Water is compressible. Sound propagates by a compression wave. The speed of sound (c) is related to the compressibility (K) by the following relation. c = square root (Kx rho), where rho is the density.

I should add that there is a displacement associated with the compressional wave.
Basically; the transducer face accelerates and compressed the water next to it's surface, the water is compressed but then it expands because it is elastic, the expansion has a displacement, but the expansion compressed the water next to it which then expands and so on....creating the compressional wave..

I hope this helps...

So what do you know, sound compresses water and this is how sound propagates. In case you missed it the very first thing the man said was

"Water is compressible. Sound propagates by a compression wave."

can this be over now?

John, I'm fascinated by your insistence on spelling "its" with an apostrophe, even though you know by now that adding the apostrophe makes a different word entirely.

-Henry

[Edit: It's interesting to note that the professor in poptart's message just above makes the same mistake. Hmmm. What is the world coming to?]

wakibaki said:
The trouble with keeping an open mind is that John might come along and fill it with his theory...

w

Everyone deserves to be heard with an open mind. However it is only the week minded who open their minds and believe what is poured into them on simply a whim.

poptart said:
I don't know why this discussion (which should have been the simplest of all time) got to me so much but I just couldn't leave it alone without asking an expert to confirm we're not all taking crazy pills. I'm leaving the man's name out of this because it was gracious enough of him to answer an unsolicited email from me. The last thing I want to do is drag him into this. but he's a professor at an american university and one of his areas of expertise is underwater acoustics.

this is my email and his response:

So what do you know, sound compresses water and this is how sound propagates. In case you missed it the very first thing the man said was

"Water is compressible. Sound propagates by a compression wave."

can this be over now?

I'm sure there are those that would like it to end, but I fear that John will never succeed his theory to the truth. Also, not only do I find this thread entertaining, it is also educational!

hpasternack said:
John, I'm fascinated by your insistence on spelling "its" with an apostrophe, even though you know by now that adding the apostrophe makes a different word entirely.

-Henry

[Edit: It's interesting to note that the professor in poptart's message just above makes the same mistake. Hmmm. What is the world coming to?]

If we look at the length and topic of this thread it seems to be just as baffling...

MJL21193 said:

Once again, I didn't say that water is inelastic. How many
time(s) do I need to say this? Water has elasticity. Got it?

Hi,

I see. Pop at the only the thing you can and ignore the rest.

5) Consequently the answer is always the same. The elasticity
of any medium is fundamental to sound wave wave propogation.
You can try convincing yourself otherwise as much as you like.
I have no problem with it whatsoever, neither do the textbooks.

Utterly tedious. I'm now getting to the point were I believe you
are simply being belligerent and have no interest in the actual
subject. All you are interested in is your facetious arguments.

So there is no point continuing this "discussion".

:bored:/sreten.

despotic931 said:
Everyone deserves to be heard with an open mind.

I am sure that your position is motivated by a sense of fairness and egalitarianism, unfortunately these are no more proof against the self-deluded than the dissembling (e.g fascism). Sometimes a more militant approach is thrust upon us. Sometimes we need to have confidence in what we consider reasonable to the extent that we can firmly reject views that we know are not. John's use of language has been extremely devious, hence we need to be extremely forthright.

Peter Aczel said:
I still get slightly annoyed - although I should know better by now - when the untutored bozos of the audio world want 2+2=4 and 2+2=5 to have equal time in a public forum.

Quoted slightly out of context - he's more concerned with the 'subjectivist' position in this comment - but in my opinion the time for open minds is long past here.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.