Compression driver selection & Revision log

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just for the record, protection caps on CD's in the pro sound industry is generally a big NO NO! You often find the cap combined with the natural resonance/impedence peaks of the driver/horn combination create big low frequency spikes which ruin the sound of compression drivers(as you finally figured out)

I'm also hoping you used CD equalisation on the SEOS constant directivity horn to offset the frequency droop in the high end?

The Daytons are pretty nice drivers(well regarded)

Just for the record, protection caps on CD's in the pro sound industry is generally a big NO NO! You often find the cap combined with the natural resonance/impedence peaks of the driver/horn combination create big low frequency spikes which ruin the sound of compression drivers(as you finally figured out)

I see! Would those impedance spikes be detectable with DATS? It should be, right? I could test it, but I've already settled on removing the caps. Thanks for the alert.

I'm also hoping you used CD equalisation on the SEOS constant directivity horn to offset the frequency droop in the high end?

The Daytons are pretty nice drivers(well regarded)

I haven't. I was going to apply EQ once I found the response with my Omnimic, but how much more over a year later and I still have yet to do that. I've been satisfied with the sound. I'm aware HF rolloff exists, but I haven't "noticed anything missing"-- words which I may need to eat later, I suspect. haha.

Is there a nominal correction you can suggest without taking measurements, or am I still waiting on measurements?

Yeah, I like the Dayton CDs on a purely active digital crossover.
Straight No Chaser sounds pretty fantastic. The vocal clarity of these speakers is phenomenal.

So AVR (meaning nothing more than voltage regulation, I assume) is a waste on amps you say?

I've read the inverter on a UPS is all too frequently cheap, producing half sine waves.

In this case AVR means Automatic Voltage Regulation.

The AC waveform that a UPS produces isn't that critical since audio equipment typically has substantial filtering in their power supplies to deal with dirty power, so regardless what it looks like on a scope it's not likely to affect the audio signal. I have several APC units including a 1300VA protecting my home theater and sound quality is exactly the same on the battery as it is on AC mains

That's good to know, conanski. From that, it sounds like noise on the AC line is much more detrimental than an imperfect sine wave.

I'm going to buy a Furman PL-8C in the coming weeks. I'm very interested to see how/if it cleans up the iNuke amps, and/or effects overall sound clarity. I can't justify the cost for the added feature of a battery backup unit, but I'll keep them in mind in the future.

I've heard mixed reviews on the iNukes, and I can't say mine have poor sound quality. Not as good as Crown, sure.

We shall see. I want to buy a conditioner for piece of mind after the crazy distortion at that one gig I attribute to power. I'll definitely report if the iNukes improve. Not expecting miracles.

Nope, buddy. Continuing from my other reply: I set these up the day before you posted with an intent to spend more time dialing in the crossovers by ear. I tried applying various Qs, frequencies, and gains with a high shelf. They really do sound best "flat" EQ. Even a little increase such as 18k 2db gain Q 0.5 was noticeably increasing something that wasn't lacking, to a bad effect.

Over the course of the past 3 weeks I have played with MiniDSP settings in the living room, and compared HF response to a Vifa dome tweeter I happen to have.

I learned two things: 1) I was correct originally:

...I concluded these speakers sound best when the Beta-12LTA is run full range, implementing a first order high pass on the tweeter at 4kHz.

And 2) Lunchietey wasn't wrong about HF frequency droop, however, I am still not incorrect in saying a boost there sounds bad.

I will be replacing the Dayton CDs after all. I think my dislike for them all along was in the top end. I was so focused on these speakers individually I never directly compared them to anything else, and I've been too busy to set up a calibrated microphone test.

I found a really interesting thread, too: B&C DE250 and "clones" - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Sounds like the Denovo DNA-360 is a good choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.