Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

15pzb40 is only ~96dB but has a good xmax and power handling - here ar sims for two small cabinets - TB46's 73L low tuned Karlflex and 79L Acoustic Control "Karlson" box. The little K has 3dB-6dB more upper bass punch/"hit" and less excursion (in that region) than the Lower tuned Karlflex assuming MMJ's constricted Transflex model is ballpark. I's assume a ParaKoupler might have to be nearly double this size to get more punch for the same LF cutoff (?)

waht I'd like is an "Ultra-Fi" 2-way ParaCoupler which could to neck to neck with the original K and standout (a bit) in some ways.

I should try mounting a 15pzb40 in a little K - IIRC its fame is a bit large and so is magnet depth (for 115BK)

https://i.imgur.com/FMaxPVD.jpg

Last edited:
Freddi's drivers

Freddi ,

Out of all of the drivers you mentioned in post #560 the B&C 15TBX40 and 15PZB40 would be some excellent choices for 15s :) Those drivers would also be great choices for Super Planar 8th and Paraflex cabinets ..

Not familiar with the JBL 2035 .... Do you have a list of parameters for it?

Out of the 12s i am sure that either the driver you said is like the Kappa 12 would work fine and the PA310 would work alright too .. . The Kappa12 is mechanically limited compared to the PA310 ........ Neither of those 12s can even come remotely close to your B&C 15s in terms of bottom end performance....

F6 to F10 at 50hz should be no problem :)

The real challenge with that Paracoupler cabinet would be getting the front chamber to tune properly and getting the slot to function well, and that goes beyond what Hornresp is capable of , therefore some Akabak action (probably followed by real-world trial & error) would need to be carried out in order to get it right .......... On the other hand our main path is the super easy part , and you can just model that as a quarterwave resonator in Hornresp right now if you wanted ...

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
Shame is that the PA310 is unobtainium hereabouts...

Gkh,
Glad to help:)

The PA310 isn't effective for 35hz either ....

Both the Kappa 12 and PA310 will run out of linear excursion (exceeding Xmax) too soon with very little drive when used in a 35hz tuned cabinet......

In order to get their mechanical power handling up high enough just to begin approaching their electrical RMS power handling rating (meaning what the voicecoil can withstand) their cabinet would need to be tuned much higher .....

Gkh, are you still planning on getting the 15LB100 drivers? We can do a lot with them :) Although a 35hz tuning is still on the low side for a 15LB100 (most of the affordable PA drivers just aren't intended for such low tunings) ..

Last edited:
Our friend just purchased an iPAL 18

Our friend Barnaby (from Facebook) just purchased a brand new B&C iPAL 18 ..... . This driver will soon be living in a Paraflex or Super Planar 8th, and Barnaby plans to use this set in his vehicle .. . The simulated in-vehicle response looks great!:happy2:

i_PAL_18_photo_1.jpg

i_PAL_18_photo_2.jpg

i_PAL_18_photo_3.jpg

i_PAL_18_photo_4.jpg

After just a few hours of break-in the parameters are well on their way to lining up with the published figures :D This is measured with the Dayton DATS 2 .... Inductance is only a little higher than published, and the Re is also just slightly higher than published but that is fine because this driver still has an abundance of motor force making it highly suitable for our high-order cabinet designs ..

i_PAL_18_after_2_hours_of_break-in.png

Barnaby should have no problem reaching very competitive SPLs with the utmost sound quality :)

PARAFLEX_i_PAL_18_horn_subwoofer_400_liter_32hz_2000w_MMJ.png

Last edited:
Great driver .... Alignment and dispersion options etc

I have the measured parameters for the 15LB100 and they are excellent in a Super Planar 8th , as well as the Paraflex style Super Planar.:).......

If it were possible to model the ParaKoupler in Hornesp then i could say for certain with that design, but that is just not within the capabilities of Hornresp (Akabak would need to be used):violin:.. ............................................

So instead of the K-slot concept i think i may have just figured out another method that could be used to give us the dispersion that we need (with a single driver) and a really cool vintage appearance in a Super Planar top , while keeping the design in a form that can be easily simulated in Hornresp.... ..... Imagine the high-tuned (short) chamber on a Super Planar top set up like a sectoral horn!:D ......

NOTE: Dual drivers in a Super Planar top are much easier to arrange for decent dispersion , we just go with the crossfiring toed-in style baffle ....... Easy ....... That is why i usually suggest dual drivers in tops if you are planning on using them into the upper midrange...

I have the measured parameters for the 15LB100 and they are excellent in a Super Planar 8th , as well as the Paraflex style Super Planar.:).......

If it were possible to model the ParaKoupler in Hornesp then i could say for certain with that design, but that is just not within the capabilities of Hornresp (Akabak would need to be used):violin:.. ............................................

So instead of the K-slot concept i think i may have just figured out another method that could be used to give us the dispersion that we need (with a single driver) and a really cool vintage appearance in a Super Planar top , while keeping the design in a form that can be easily simulated in Hornresp.... ..... Imagine the high-tuned (short) chamber on a Super Planar top set up like a sectoral horn!:D ......

NOTE: Dual drivers in a Super Planar top are much easier to arrange for decent dispersion , we just go with the crossfiring toed-in style baffle ....... Easy ....... That is why i usually suggest dual drivers in tops if you are planning on using them into the upper midrange...

Akabak was my first thought when reading several posts ago that Hornresp can't model the ParaKoupler - maybe XRK could help?

A sectoral horn for a sub? :eek: This is definitely beyond my imaginative capabilities! Besides, the rather slender footprint of the ParaKoupler combined with a K-slot is what attracted me so much ;)

Akabak was my first thought when reading several posts ago that Hornresp can't model the ParaKoupler - maybe XRK could help?

Yessir , Xrk does have a talent for modeling the K-slots in Akabak :). .

A sectoral horn for a sub? :eek:

Not a sub really, Freddi wanted something tuned higher, with a wide bandwidth reaching all the way out into the upper midrange (like our Super Planar club tops) , and the reason for the K-slot was to improve the horizontal dispersion of those upper mids.... The K-slot is not necessary for something that is strictly a sub .. .

Gkh , for subwoofer duty you will be better served by a Super Planar 8th or Paraflex if you are going with the 15LB100 .... The footprint can be reduced if you prefer :cubehead:

Last edited:
OOPS...

Matthew,
then I misunderstood this - I was sure you guys were talking about a sub, though I wondered why a sub should go so high... Sorry about that :embarrassed:

As we discussed some time ago, what I'm looking for is a sub with slender footprint, f3 at ~35Hz, going up to 140Hz max, preferrably with the 15LB100 (for budgetary reasons); no need for 150dB ;). And with all angles 90° preferrably ;)

Gerald

P.S.:
Do you have some dimensions for the Paraflex with 15LB100?