Compound hornloudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scottmoose said:
True. I couldn't afford it, that's for sure. Still, you get what you pay for in this life, right? Hopefully someone might be able to recreate the thing, but I'm not holding my breath. :crying:

Me neither, what with this latest attack on my retirement fund.

If you're lucky........

Me neither, there's just no market for it. Years ago, Nick McKinney (Lambda) looked into reproducing the WE/Altec 755, arguably the most accurate single driver voice reproducer ever marketed when driven with a matching impedance amp and the company that still had the molds had a 10 k minimum order IIRC, so that was the end of that 'pipe dream'........

GM

RCA made also a similar design, worth to be mentioned :

using two horns driven with a compression driver in the middle, and a woofer, firing backwards, into a horn, folding one time in the back, and the mouth surrounding the horn in the middle , offering true point source imaging.

Angelo

RCApointsource.jpg

Very cool compound horns!

I see Angelo's point about point-source combined with compound horns, and that's very cool. (I very much like that about my Tannoys!)

But I have a pair of very large backloaded horns built from Jensen 1952 plans:

28221349_Sp3Zw-M.jpg

212422188_wczNj-M.jpg

These are quite interesting with Tannoy 15" dual concentric drivers (I tried Monitor Golds, HPDs, 3833...). The point source of the direct radiator and compression drivers is still apparent, but so is the bigger-than-life low end of the BLH.

Yet... I went looking for more, and have put in various low Qts low Fs high Vas 15" woofers and a JBL 2441 plus various horns: constant directivity, Edgars, and through a friend, Yuichi A290S wood horns. (The 2" comp driver and horn fit in the chamber between the woofer and horn mouth.) JBL LE15B and the Yuichi horns are a dynamite combo.

The next step is to try mounting a ~200hz horn on the 15", and I am thinking the Tannoy cabinets mentioned above would be a model to follow. I've got 37 inches across the front and about 18 inches in height to use.

I would love to know more about how the front horn affects the back horn and vice versa.

My Friend Doug and I have designed and built several compound horn designs using Mr. McBean's wonderful software with fabulous results. Search my name and you will find some of our designs. They do not need to be complex and humongous like the pics posted here either. Hint think small on the front horn. Like 10cm long and 200-600 cm2 for the mouth. They are undeniably worth the effort!

so the best example of a true compound horn is still the classic Tannoy Westimster (with an accoustic crosover of 200hz)?

Probably a crazy question: is a 360 degree horn feasable - a 'front' spherical horn firing upwards at a large omni directional deflector
ie lke this but horn loaded Sirius

Last edited:
Well as I mentioned previously I have modeled several compound horns using Mr. Mcbean's wonderful software Hornresp. If you have a particular driver in mind I could come up with something for you. As far as the omni directional thing half the point of a front horn is to make it directional that is where the improved sensitivity comes from so I don't know that there would be an advantage to doing that. But I could be wrong I'll let one of the more advanced engineer types tackle that question.

so the best example of a true compound horn is still the classic Tannoy Westimster (with an accoustic crosover of 200hz)?

Probably a crazy question: is a 360 degree horn feasable - a 'front' spherical horn firing upwards at a large omni directional deflector
ie lke this but horn loaded Sirius

If not the best, then second to none.

OK, a horn loaded slot is doable, but what are you going to do about the LF? I mean to make it omni requires floor loading over a phase plug, so now you've got to fold it up a bunch to keep the path-length between the two short enough, making the LF horn's 'footprint' even bigger than the Tannoy laid down on its face and positioned far enough from any walls to maintain its omni response down into the room's gain curve. I guess a single one placed off center in a large, open room could be a functioning work of art.

GM

Resurrecting an old thread here as I have been thinking about this very thing after discovering the compound horn feature of HR. However I have been unable to get anything even remotely resembling a decent frequency response in my sims yet.

What got me thinking about this was the Altec A7's use of port loading to reinforce the bass below the horn cut off on the woofer. A couple of things that struck me right away about the A7. It must have used a woofer with a very light cone and a tremendous magnet to be able to play well all the way up to the mid/tweet horn. The second thing is I can't see how the reflex port contribution would even come close to matching the SPL from the front horn.

My natural thought was why not use a quarter wave or better yet back loaded horn instead of the reflex to get more reinforcement of the lower mid bass. (40-80Hz). Little did I know that such a thing had been done before.

I see all these pictures of nice square tractrix front horn mids with full SD throats yet all my attempts an modeling seem to indicate that a very high compression ratio is almost mandatory on a tractrix to get the required 1/4 wave length. I get a lot of "invalid data" when I try to do otherwise. Am I missing some trick?

The other thing I am running into is that all attempts at modeling a compound horn lead to very goofy response graphs. It seems like the two horns are interacting with the loading of the other in seemingly random ways.

Does one generally use back chambers and throat chambers with a compound horn or are the horns generally mated directly to the driver? Are low Qes and high fs the only factors in achieving good high frequency extension in front horns or are there other factors to consider as well.

Thanks.

I'm just not educated enough to make the judgement as to whether I would be wasting my time and effort to construct such a cabinet.

Any comments or suggestions?

John

This is not a part8icularly new concept - as your reference notes - but it is also not particularly useful either, which is why it isn't used very much. A lot of space and work for little to no benefit, I wouldn't waste my time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.