• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Completely new to building amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have been an audiophile for some time now, having owned Krell and Audio Research products and enjoying them. But one thing has been nagging me: I like the satisfaction of creating things with my own hands.

In other words, I want to CREATE (for my own use initially) tube and or solid/state amplifiers. Thus, I am seeking help: things such as where to find designs, or kits; what tools to have handy (I already own a multimeter, although I am not sure if its up to the task), things to look out for, supplies and parts to use, etc.

I wanted to start with something, say 30-50W. Is that realistic? If not, what is?

I have looked but there seems to be a lack of information with regard to the subject.

I am fairly intelligent, good with my hands, and motivated. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance,
Tony

Re: Micro dollar probs?

fdegrove said:
Hi Craig,
Thank you sir.
Now that mail problem bothers me,it should pass.
What if you try again?If it doesn't work just send me some blabla so I can send you another alias?
Cheers,;)
You both of you
need
to be more specific in your request of info

others we on the side reading do not follow

caprice?

by the way
I have added my homepage
to my prophile

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
caprice?

Hi Halojoy,

Funny how you managed to misspell that.;)

It should say "capice?".

All things considered,you did come out of your bed again,didn't you?
Never read you a bedtime story again.:(

Seems to me you're the only "capricious" one around....;)

Altra volta,buona notte signore Groman.

Re: caprice?

fdegrove said:
Hi Halojoy,

Funny how you managed to misspell that.;)

It should say "capice?".

All things considered,you did come out of your bed again,didn't you?
Never read you a bedtime story again.:(

Seems to me you're the only "capricious" one around....;)

Altra volta,buona notte signore Groman.
as I always say when nothing is to be added
what more can I say

I like your mind though, very much are we 2 needed at this place

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DIY

Hi,

Since the Wharfedale speakers have a sensitivty of 86dB the manufacturer recommends an amplifier of 100W.

If the listening room is not big and you're not in the habit of listening at earbleeding levels I would say an amp of 50W would be more than ample.

The question now is: do you want to build from scratch, copy an existing design,build a kit?

Either way you are going to need a decent soldering iron,solder,some pliers,cutters and other tools.
A voltmeter will not be wasted either.

You decide.:)

Cheers,;)

DIY

fdegrove,
Thx for the reply, and the diligent research.

I seek to build a 50W tube amp, and I would prefer, in order, to either copy an existing, proven design, or build one from scratch. I am thrilled by the challenge of either of these options.

I would do a kit but I have no idea where to begin looking for such a kit here in the Chicago, Illinois area. Obviously, there is mail order or internet order, but I would love to actually talk to someone about them prior to purchase.

Pls advise. Thanks again for your help thus far.

regards,
Tony

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CHICAGO KIDS

Hi,

As far as the Chicago area goes I wouldn't know either.

If I'm not mistaken Ned Carlsson is a tube reseller with a business in your area.
I don't think he himself sells any kits but he would likely be able to advise.
Moreover he's a good source and a nice fellow as well.

NED CARLSSON

Cheers,;)

DIY

Joel:
No, I do not have a tube manual. Where might I acquire such a thing? Do these include schematics?

I do know a little about tubes though, being a fan of companies such as Audio Research, and c-j. So some of the more popular tube types I have heard of like for example the EL34, and 6550.

fdegrove:
Thx again!! I will check Ned out...

You all are great! Thanks a bunch! Please keep the ideas and commments coming...

Regards

Re: DIY

TStrong_06 said:
No, I do not have a tube manual. Where might I acquire such a thing? Do these include schematics?

Off of eBay, or some specialty stores online such as Antique Electronic Supply - or maybe even your local university library.
RCA's does have a handful of useful projects in the back. They include schematics, parts lists, and short descriptions. The amps are mostly push-pull pentodes with a Dynaco type driver stage.
It was just an idea.:rolleyes:

DIY

Joel:
Thanks for you help...I was just saying that I am not COMPLETELY ignorant to tubes. :) Maybe ignorant...not COMPLETELY ignorant. ;)

On a scale of 1 to 10, I am likely a 2, maybe 3. But any suggestion at my level teaches me something new. I didn't even know that something such as a tube manual existed.

Thank you...Your suggestion is well taken and I will try and find one...

Any other Ideas or suggestions are very much needed and appreciated!!! :)

Pls keep em coming....

Regards

Hi Tony,

I am building my first DIY amps. Here are a few observations I have made on deciding what to do. It's not a perfect list.

1. Building From A Kit:

All parts are supplied by manufacturer. Usually the instructions are very thorough and thought out. There seems to always be a message board on the web dedicated to that design offering lots of help. You learn a lot and satisfaction is high. Initial cost can be expensive for some high end kits. Only dark side, a lot of people will have the same amp.

2. Building From Scratch:

First, the dark side,
There usually is only a schematic, you must choose one and then stick with it or design your own. You must source all your parts. You must determine your own layout for parts and build or buy as box to hold it all. Cut the box (metal working or wood working tools required or higher some one to do it). Ask a ton of question on a message board.

Second, the light side.
Buy things as you need them, can maintain a budget.
You build a one of a kind, You learn a lot more. The satisfaction is certainly as good, if not better, than building from a kit.

3. Repairing an old Amplifier:

Usually everything is there. Schematics are easy to obtain, A lot of web help available. Could be a lot of work and you are fixed to that design.

I am building from scratch, JE labs 300b monoblocks, followed by a kit, BottleHead Foreplay preamp, Then maybe build some speakers, when budget permits. Hope this helps.

Hi Tony,

maybeim has summed up the various options quite well. A kit or a rebuild of an older amplifier would be the easiest in many ways, but you will learn much more if you scratch build, but the level of effort required is commensurately higher.

Databooks: Getting some of these is a great idea. Another option is to download and use the free <a href="http://www.duncanamps.com/tdslpe/index.html">TDSL (Tube Datasheet Locator) program.</a>. Whilst this won't give you the schematics that some of them have, as Joel suggested, it does allow instant access to a ton of basic data for thousands of tubes, as well as the option of downloading datasheets for individual tubes.

Whilst you're there, download the <a href="http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html">PSUDII</a> or power supply designer, another free program. Whilst at this moment it might be a bit beyond your abilities, you can look at power supplies in commercial amps, and simulate them, learning a bit about how they operate at the same time.

For a schematic, have a look at the <a href="http://www.triodeel.com/gec50w.gif">Genelex 50W</a> or the <a href="http://www.triodeel.com/dynamk3.gif">Dynaco Mk3</a>.

I think the GEC amp would be an interesting, and reasonably simple build. Reliabilty should be good too as the amp is set up using data from the GEC datasheet, uses available and non-fancy parts, and could be implemented quite cheaply, or tweked to hell depending on budget and inclination. I think it would be very wise to use a wide bandwidth output transformer to ensure stability. I would suggest a Hammond P-T1650R as an absolute minimum with second hand Dyna, or new replacement Magnequest versions as being better. If your budget can stretch, the Plitrons would be great.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.