Complete noob to all of this, help to my feet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently developed an interest in building my own hardware (originally geared towards an analogue synth but has extended to a sub, amp, compressor etc etc :D ) but have no idea where to start. I generally find this the hardest stage of learning anything, finding out exactly what it is you are learning and how best to go about it. I started to download some schematics for vco's and didn't know wtf was going on since I have no experience whatsoever with electronics.
Basically I'm asking for a list of books, webpages, schematics + other resources to bring me up to speed and a list of threads of interest would be nice (one best suited to a noob).

Thanks in advance, Gareth.

p.s I realise that I haven't searched the forum and this post may have appeared several times but I don't the exact phrase I should be looking for, I apologise for any annoyance incurred by reading this thread ;)

Try the library: there should be some books in the electronics section dealing with audio. If they have back issues of electronics magazines, have a look there. Elektor, Everyday Practical Electronics, ETI, Electronics & Wireless World are some examples.

Maplin stores must carry some books, and there's probably some kits that would interest you.

"The Art Of Electronics" is an excellent book on electronics design.

Second the recommendation of The Art of Electronics aka Horowitz & Hill. It isn't cheap, but worth every penny if you're starting out, and good for reference ever after. You should also try to get a copy of Boylestad's Introductory Circuit Analysis. It's the classic book used in EE and ET courses, and covers every component one by one, and their interactions. It's usually easy to find used, as a new one is quite expensive. No idea what the current edition is- mine is 5th, but any recent one will do. If you have any interest in ss power amps, I'd also suggest ordering a copy of Doug Self's book on same. Though you can answer specific questions on the net, there's no substitute for working your way through a good text.

Totally agree on the whole working through text thing, will be sweet to see what oled paper is like though!

Thanks for the mention of books again, am also interested in amps said book is welcome.

Will try and source the books mentioned before I start to go off on one that's for sure. Only problem is I don't know what I want to devote most time to (monitors, sub, amp, filter, compressor, vco etc) :(...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.