Commercial Projector Ballast Bypass Guide

Crazyfunguy! please Help

Acer7763PA.jpg

please help me on this one travelmate projector

to bypass the ballast i have no old lamp purchased it at 50 dollars in jordan

Done the mod its the two pins of the SFH6156-3 that close to the wires
just short them permenantly
Done.jpg

fired up and tested using 30 5mm white leds in the lamp place gave me 22'' clear screen
low on the green but its a start
I was Inspired by all of you Thanks :cool:

ps: it does not shutdown completely !
now i have to search for av input wiring for it

:)
but the ballast has doughter board, which have the sfh and there is other 2 wires
connected to it along the mains feed too, its in the above picture down left

i bought a led spot 7w powerled 4000k
and tried to run inside it gives
great picture at 22" screen colors great but saddly when i go further like 50" the picture faaaaades away
):

I have a Epson 50c and I know others have been sucessfull with this projector or other very similar projectors. I have found the spot (SCI on the board and the third wire over, an orange-ish brown color and It reads 2.84 on the volt meter) I have connected this wire to a screw on the main board after unplugging and completely removing the ballast. So here is my question, I purchased this projector with an almost dead bulb, I had just a few minutes left on it, and I saw the picture. but I am not familiar with how this projector is supposed to function. When I plug in the projector the green light on the right comes on and stays green, when I push the "red power button on top of the projector" the fan spins up a bit more and it switches over to the blinking error light on the left. I assume that means I have not succedded on making this system work by bypassing the ballast.... Am I correct in my assumption? Please help...

Hi, I am trying to bypass the ballast of a Cinego D-1000 DLP projector that I got from RadioShack a while ago. I opened the projector and located the ballast but Im not quite sure which wires to probe, or even if its the correct wires. If someone can help me locate the proper wire I would be grateful. I have included some pics

Here is the ballast. I have circled two connectors. One goes to the power supply and the other is a 5-pin connector, which I think is the one but I am not sure:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/Afzal/P1040348-3000.jpg

This is where that 5-pin wire connects to (coming from the ballast)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/Afzal/P1040349-3000.jpg

Here is a couple of overview shots
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/Afzal/P1040347-3000.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/Afzal/P1040350-3000.jpg

Is the area behind the DLP chip the mainboard? I just want to know if this is the correct set of wires. Thanks for any help :)

It was really great to have got the specific's as to how to bypass the lamp module.
All other forums have been very vague as to the detail. I myself was really in a fix as to what to do. it never struck me as to ground the 5V. May be coz i was'nt sure whether the voltage would go to '0' when the lamp was lit (did'nt have a lamp to check) Was planning to fix a rheostat across....... You saved me a great lot .Thank's a many crazyfungun....... Now to the next part
Kno u'll save us on this one too.........How do I hack a bulb......

need help with NEC vt470

I found your post son VP modding and wanted to ask for your kind help and guidance if you’d be so kind.
I have a NEC vt470 VP with a very common problem

Installed a new lamp, worked fine until it gave the 6 red blinks, “lamp failed to ignite” error, it came back operational again for 2 days, and again and for good , started giving the same error. Now it wil not start the lamp and constantly bring the red flashing error 6 times. Worn out Ballast?

Is there any way to geta round it without changing the ballast? I do not know anything about electronics but I read your posts, saw your pictures and think I can manage to fix it with some help.

Sorry for the inconvenience, Any help will be welcomed!!

Marcelus

need help with NEC vt470

HI: well finally managed to find the connector going from the MB to the ballast, also disconected ballast from PS so it's totally isolated. my VT470 connector has 5 cables, since I totally lack knowledge of eletronics, I cut all 5 wires and grounded one at a time adn left te other 4 disconnected. Still as in post 44, got the same lamp will not ignite signal and the vt470 stops Any idea as to what I may be doing wrong? than you

Hi I am new here & I am hoping some body can help me fire up my projector so I can use an alternative light source.
I have a NEC VT676 projector I bought off ebay sold as spare parts because the ballast unit was not working.
when it arrived it had no ballast unit at all so I had no way of knowing which terminal was the ballast connection.
I have been able to rent a service manual however it has very little info about the ballast unit.
I stumbled across this site & tried some of the connections described on this site but all failed.
The projector goes through start up sequence then shuts down flashing lamp error code.
There are 5 terminals going to the ballast unit two have 3.3V
Pin 1 is RXD should be 0.2V in stand by & on mode, but is 3.3V
Pin 2 is GND
Pin 3 is 3.3V but if grounded & shuts all down
Pin 4 lamp power should be 3.3V on stand by & 1.6V when on, but is 0V
Pin 5 TXD should be 3.3V, but is 0.2V
I have grounded pin 1 no effect
Pin 1 RXD serial I/F (send)
Pin 5 TXD serial I/F (receive) perhaps the main board is looking for a signal or wave form instead of a high low voltage.
If any one has any info or ideas about this problem I would appreciate your help
Garry
same problem I have wit a vt470, Have you found a solution? thank you so much

Hi I am new here & I am hoping some body can help me fire up my projector so I can use an alternative light source.
I have a NEC VT676 projector I bought off ebay sold as spare parts because the ballast unit was not working.
when it arrived it had no ballast unit at all so I had no way of knowing which terminal was the ballast connection.
I have been able to rent a service manual however it has very little info about the ballast unit.
I stumbled across this site & tried some of the connections described on this site but all failed.
The projector goes through start up sequence then shuts down flashing lamp error code.
There are 5 terminals going to the ballast unit two have 3.3V
Pin 1 is RXD should be 0.2V in stand by & on mode, but is 3.3V
Pin 2 is GND
Pin 3 is 3.3V but if grounded & shuts all down
Pin 4 lamp power should be 3.3V on stand by & 1.6V when on, but is 0V
Pin 5 TXD should be 3.3V, but is 0.2V
I have grounded pin 1 no effect
Pin 1 RXD serial I/F (send)
Pin 5 TXD serial I/F (receive) perhaps the main board is looking for a signal or wave form instead of a high low voltage.
If any one has any info or ideas about this problem I would appreciate your help
Garry

GArry

Have you fainlly worked it out? I have the same problem, PLa<se let me know if you have

regards

Help

OK, so... across where do i measure the voltage of the ballast pins. I get that i have to fin the pin the reads ~3v without a bulb and ~0v with bulb. so one end of the multimeter goes to a pin the other end goes where?...Gnd?...if so how do i find Gnd? and then when i do find the pin, what do i do with it?...keep everything connected and just run a jumber on the board to gnd?...or do i cut the cable and directly ground it? I think it get grounded but to where?

Hi,

I am trying to modify an InFocus LP350 for use in our lab. While the information on this forum has been incredibly useful, I am stymied by the simple task of opening the case. I have taken out all of the torx screws on the bottom and the one inside the lamp chamber. I have not taken out the one by the lens or the one in the lamp chamber that connects to the top panel. I really don't want to damage the projector by forcing something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike