Collaborative Tapped horn project

No, it's 2 pi, though I can't imagine why other than I did it in the wee hours because I couldn't sleep.

Regardless, little wonder it doesn't match up well since Freddy's TH dims are somewhat different than WC's, so try it in his at 2pi and see if we match 'close enough.

Still, yours is a bit different than when I copied the Magnum Pro 12HO into WC's, again at 2pi for consistancy, so where do we diverge?

GM

Attachments

• eminence magnum pro 12ho in 30 hz tapped horn (w. cowan).gif
    eminence magnum pro 12ho in 30 hz tapped horn (w. cowan).gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 803
iand said:

You could, but why would you want to?

(performance vs. price is lousy compared to conventional drivers)

Ian

Because it's doable! Not every DIYer is a penny-pinching bargain hunter. Some folks would like it just for its novelty. Doesn't look too bad in a quick sim either:

GM

Attachments

• tympany lat500 14.14-112 hz conic th + 1.5 mh.gif
    tympany lat500 14.14-112 hz conic th + 1.5 mh.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 834
GM said:
Eminence Magnum Pro 12HO in 30 Hz tapped horn (W. Cowan) - specs:
Exellent, thanks, looks like the Magnum Pro 12HO works well in that enclosure. As I have 4 of these drivers (and some baltic birch) I think I'll build 1 of the 30Hz TH enclosures first, and see how well it works. Them I may go for some self designed ones after that, so I can compare them.

William Cowan's 30Hz TH enclosure seem like a nice size also which is alway a bonus. If I get any free time this weekend, I should be able to make some sawdust. :)

EDIT: Could you post the parameters of the lower tuned one also? I'm sure I'd run out of xmax below 20Hz, but I wouldn't mind seeing how well it works. :)

GM said:

Because it's doable! Not every DIYer is a penny-pinching bargain hunter. Some folks would like it just for its novelty.

:)

Someone on a Dutch forum ordered one, just to try it out. He put it in closed and vented boxes and said it works fine, in balance with its price. In addition, its dimensions allow different enclosures than the normal standard squarish boxes, which is the whole point of this driver. I could imagine someone using this driver for a very flat tapped horn, something that sits more flush with a wall than the coffins that you are almost forced to make with regular round drivers.

Like GM said, interesting challenge for DIYers.

GM said:

Because it's doable! Not every DIYer is a penny-pinching bargain hunter. Some folks would like it just for its novelty. Doesn't look too bad in a quick sim either:

GM

Good point GM! My initial reaction was the same as Iand's, but I can't fault your logic.
Something like that would be good for a tapped horn in a pickup truck, where the box could be very wide and tall, but shallow enough to fit behind the seats.

Hey, everyone.

A friend and I built a tapped horn today, with a twist -- it's got a constriction at its mouth that mass-loads the horn, gaining a bit of extra extension. That horn is only long enough to support an Fc of 56 Hz, but that's shifted down to 45 Hz by mass-loading. Hornresp predicts a deep (15dB) trough between the two lowermost resonant peaks, but no such behavior was observed -- this thing's small, flat, and loud, if a little resonant-sounding. Driver is the HO version of the 10" Dayton Reference subwoofer. Without realizing what we were doing, we hit levels of 110dB in the driveway -- it's so clean, it didn't even seem loud.

The design needs a bit of tweaking, but here's a photo to tantalize you:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That box is 12"x12"x30" internally, and built from 5/8" plywood, but the baffle and front cover plate are both 3/4".

Measurements will follow soon, once the length of the vent is tweaked.

Ivo said:

He put it in closed and vented boxes and said it works fine, in balance with its price. In addition, its dimensions allow different enclosures than the normal standard squarish boxes.........

Good to know, thanks! Yeah, I had already done the sims, just hadn't copied/uploaded them when I saw Ian's negative response and posted a 'knee jerk' retort, but you and PB are right, this would make a nice, relatively flat panel speaker or horn for a truck, under a sofa or bed/whatever if the specs are reasonably accurate. Not to mention that due to its layout it may have better distortion specs under load than a typical car audio 'sub' driver.

GM

I was over on Parts Express, looking at car sub drivers to see what might be suitable, and I notice that the specs on car subs tend to be missing parameters.

For example they are running a special on some Lanzar MAX12s at $38.00. It has a couple of things I like, high FS, low Vas, and reasonably high efficiency. However the only specs they list, and I went to the Lanzar site as well are;

*Power handling: 500 watts RMS/1000 watts peak
*VCdia: 2" *Impedance: 4 ohms
*Magnet weight: 130 oz.
*Fs: 35.1
*SPL: 91.9 dB 1W/1m
*Vas: 3.46 cu. ft.
*Qts: 0.57 (Listed as 0.36 on the Lanzar website)
*Xmax: 10mm

I plugged those specs into WinISD Pro and it calculated;

QES: 0.437
QMS: 2.046

I suspect that without at least a few more parameters it would be difficult/impossible to design anything. Is there anything that can be done short of buying one, and testing it?

Paul

GM said:

GM

I didn't mean just vs price, even if the frequency response is flat maximum SPL will be much lower due to comparatively limited power handling and Xmax -- conventional drivers will give a lot higher maximum SPL in the same size box.

Since extended response and high maximum SPL are generally the whole point of tapped horns, this kind of goes against this :)

Ian