Collaborative Tapped horn project

th46: Thanks for giving the 4012 a go. It's good to have something to compare your results to...

I've had a look at my drivers tho, and I've actually found that they are the Eminence Magnum 12HO which is pretty much the same driver as the 4012, but I put in the new specs anyway as there are a few differences.

This is the first time I've used hornresp, and it's a pretty full-on... I've tried a similar sized TH with the Mag 12HO, and it's not too bad. I put in values for SD1 and SD5, and let the tapped horn wizard do the rest... The rest is pretty much wild guesses so far, apart from I know that SD shouldn't go over a 1:3 compression ratio in order to save the drivers cone... I need to do some reading up on hornresp really...

My attempt:

Attachments

• th12ho.gif
    th12ho.gif
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,171
I also have 2 Pioneer car subs which are in reflex enclosures right now, and sound pretty poor. I thought I'd have a go and see if these are any good in a TH... The model number is TS-W305C, and it's a 12" unit, even tho the cone is closer to 10" really.

The box works out quite a bit smaller, and it's still good around 20Hz.

If I built 2 of these TH's, and put the mouthes next to each other, would I get more extension like you get with normal front loaded horns?

Attachments

• th12pioneer.gif
    th12pioneer.gif
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,155
Alright gang, here's another cry for help. I have a driver designed for a leaky sealed box(car door) that is available as a first TH candidate. I would like to use it to supplement my computer speakers from 30-100+Hz. Max SPL is not critical, but minimal size is. This is foremost a learning project, so any specific goals for end use can be suppressed if I get a listenable result and improved understanding of the design process. I am attaching my best results, but I seem to be an octave too low. Hopefully some of you will be able to clear the cobwebs from my mind.:smash:

Attachments

• mtx 6.5 tapped.gif
    mtx 6.5 tapped.gif
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,111
Don Snyder said:
I decided to give AkAbak another try. I was redirected to a page where they were downloading v.2, but it's crippled and they want $700 for the full version. The old version / demo is no more.

Can anyone toss me a copy?

Don't know what happened, but everything's fine now. I was using an old link, and got redirected and lost. Could be they were doing some mods, and I fell into a hole.

Anyway, thanks!

boydon_lepasci said:

I am attaching my best results, but I seem to be an octave too low.

Then make it shorter. BTW, what's its model number and Xmax for my records? It makes a ~theoretically ideal woofer TH, though of course much too large for your app at ~745 L:

GM

Attachments

• mtx 6.5 18.32-130.87 hz expo th.gif
    mtx 6.5 18.32-130.87 hz expo th.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,114
^ Wow, that's a lot of SPL from such a small driver!

Right, I'm slowly working my way thru this huge thread, and I'm slowly getting to grips with hornresp. Now, I've got a JBL GTO 1202D car woofer that look like it might be ok... Specs here:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Boxes and Parameters/GTO_1202D.pdf

The Fs is a little low tho, but it's a DVC driver... I was wondering the best way of modeling this in hornresp as it can either have an impedance of 1 or 4 ohms depending in weather you wire it in series or parallel. :confused:

EDIT: Is there any way I can make this a little flatter, or will this sound ok it only varies 1 or 2 db between 20-80hz? This is the pioneer car sub, fwiw.

Attachments

• th12pioneer2.gif
    th12pioneer2.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,006
GM said:

BTW, what's its model number and Xmax for my records?

It's a 6-1/2" midbass from an MTX RT260S component set. Unfortunately I don't have a datasheet with Xmax on it. The TS parameters I am using are from the Woofer Tester II. Could you post the input window that goes with that SPL plot? I'm still trying to get the hang of picking flare rates and adapting them to the desired BW(using Leach's math via ML Util) and efficiency.

boydon_lepasci said:

It's a 6-1/2" midbass from an MTX RT260S component set. Unfortunately I don't have a datasheet with Xmax on it. The TS parameters I am using are from the Woofer Tester II. Could you post the input window that goes with that SPL plot? I'm still trying to get the hang of picking flare rates and adapting them to the desired BW(using Leach's math via ML Util) and efficiency.

112dB SPL at 30 Hz from a 6-1/2" driver? :eek: What is the motor made of, plutonium with a diamond cone? :hot: That plot GM showed a couple of posts back of this driver's expected performance looks uber nice. Almost too nice. What am I missing here?

I'm slowly getting to grips with hornresp, thru trail and error mainly. :eek: That tapped horn wizard thing is awesome tho, it would be even better is more values could be tweakable in the wizard... ;)

Anyway, I've worked on a couple of enclosures for my Eminence Magnum 12HO, and it seems to be a trade off between SPL and bandwidth... Both are around 250L which is a nice size for me.

Both are 1 x pi:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm thinking the black curve would be better, as I'm getting almost an extra 3db, with only slightly less extension?

I have a pair of drivers with the following specs;

QTS: .33
QMS: 4.69
QES: .35
VAS: 1.822 sq Ft, 51.6 litres
SPL: 88
FS: 25.4
RE: 4
LE: 1.2
XMAX: 4.3 mm
They are nominal 10" drivers, actual piston area is about 8.25".

I was hoping someone might model these either as a single driver, or perhaps using the pair sliding the second driver up the throat to see if it "improves" things.

Paul

Re: Eminence_Magnum_12H0_MikeHunt79

tb46 said:
Hi MikeHunt79:
I had about the same for that one, the small inductor takes care of the passband wobbles.
:)
I'm guessing the inductor is 2.6mH, judging by the difference in the Le value? It definitely helps tho, I've tried adding one to my intended box and it didn't really help much as it increased the 80Hz dip. :(

Just a quick question, isn't the compression ratio a little high? I thought you shouldn't go above 3:1, so 552:1 seems too much...

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with this design, even tho it isn't amazingly flat, I'm gonna have a go at building it:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I used the spreadsheet posted earlier to see that it will be less than 8ft tall which means it will fit in my room... Now the only part I'm struggling with is how to actually convert into a finished design... Are there any links for anything similar which show how to turn the sim into an enclosure design? I'm going thru the wiki right now, and I may yet strike gold. :D

EDIT: Aceinc, the FS looks a little low on that driver, but try putting the values in hornresp anyway, and see how it performs. :)