Collaborative Tapped horn project

Try this one

Attachments

• screenhunter_02 may. 01 16.13.jpg
    screenhunter_02 may. 01 16.13.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,333
Josh Ricci said:
I figured as much. I'd be happy If I could get a relative useful range up to 60-80hz. I don't know if it's possible when getting extension down in the 20hz range or lower. I'm basically looking for the tremendous low end you mentioned.

Hi Josh. I tried a few combinations with HornResp yesterday, and mine look somewhat similar to what others have posted. I kept the compression ratio at 3:1 or less to hopefully make it safer. Not super smooth, but within a few dB for not having to crank down the areas any more.

1W response:

LMS-spl.JPG

Params:

LMS-params.JPG

Here's that "tremendous response" we were discussing. Assuming nothing falls apart (the cone, the box, your house) of course.

Standard half space:

LMSspl-half.JPG

In a corner (eighth space)- a theoretical 135+ dB from 15 Hz up:

LMSspl-eighth.JPG

You should build it so we can follow and see if it actually does that, heh. Maybe check with TC Sounds first and see if they know how strong the cone is and what kind of compression ratio they think it could take at full excursion.

I'm still kicking myself over the GTG and things I should've done. Why I didn't get a close mic in the horn mouth of the TH50 and THspud I just can't reconcile. It would've taken all of 1min and I just plain old didn't think of it until the next day. The responses that were posted/ taken were 3 foot away with the mic on the floor so there is quite a bit of room influence. What I do have is numerous close mics of the sealed LMS and XXX drivers and their responses measured the same way in the same room as the TH's, so I can do a bit of extrapolation there.

Yep, that's hindsight for ya. In looking through your GTG REW graphs, I assumed the peaks that were common to all the subs were probably room induced (such as the 70 Hz peak). The 80+ Hz peaks and dips to the TH50 were unique and also quite similar to some of the HornResp predictions for slightly larger MTX horns (20 Hz TH). Example:

mtx-20hzspl.JPG

Regards,
Keith

LMS 5400 18 Parameters

When entering the parameters for the LMS 5400 18 into Hornresp it calculated values are similar to, but slightly different from the values in Post #3311.

For Josh_Ricci: Are your LMS 5400 18 parameters measured?

For HornsKeith: Your parameters differ a bit from the ones Josh Ricci posted in Post #3311/#3316. Are these parameters measured?

Regards,

Re: LMS 5400 18 Parameters

HornsKeith said:

Hi Josh. I tried a few combinations with HornResp yesterday, and mine look somewhat similar to what others have posted. I kept the compression ratio at 3:1 or less to hopefully make it safer. Not super smooth, but within a few dB for not having to crank down the areas any more.

1W response:

LMS-spl.JPG

Params:

LMS-params.JPG

Here's that "tremendous response" we were discussing. Assuming nothing falls apart (the cone, the box, your house) of course.

Standard half space:

LMSspl-half.JPG

In a corner (eighth space)- a theoretical 135+ dB from 15 Hz up:

LMSspl-eighth.JPG

You should build it so we can follow and see if it actually does that, heh. Maybe check with TC Sounds first and see if they know how strong the cone is and what kind of compression ratio they think it could take at full excursion.

Yep, that's hindsight for ya. In looking through your GTG REW graphs, I assumed the peaks that were common to all the subs were probably room induced (such as the 70 Hz peak). The 80+ Hz peaks and dips to the TH50 were unique and also quite similar to some of the HornResp predictions for slightly larger MTX horns (20 Hz TH). Example:

mtx-20hzspl.JPG

Regards,
Keith

Thanks. Yep the GTG measurements all have a big 70hz and 45hz peak from the room plus a few other issues. The TH's seemed to exaggerate this a bit more and had some peaks higher in the pass band. I will try to give some TH design a try this summer. Possibly with the LMS 18 or the SDX.The models that have been posted look decent. I won't have time to play with them until later, but the output potential looks nice. I noticed that the graph posted for the MTX9500 looks really good especially the sensitivity. Is that for 1/2 space?

tb46 said:
When entering the parameters for the LMS 5400 18 into Hornresp it calculated values are similar to, but slightly different from the values in Post #3311.

For Josh_Ricci: Are your LMS 5400 18 parameters measured?

For HornsKeith: Your parameters differ a bit from the ones Josh Ricci posted in Post #3311/#3316. Are these parameters measured?

Regards,

They are Praxis measurements, not of my particular driver, but TC is usually very close. I also have a WT3. The BL, MMS, RE, SD, LE is all spot on. The xmax and xmech are real figures.

P.Audio FL-12LF SPECS

fb said:

P.Audio offered to sell me some direct from Thailand if the Aus distributor didn't have any... but I'm a fair way off from purchasing so didn't enquire as to price.

I'm also concerned as to accuracy of T/S specs.....

Alternatively, the B&C 12TBX100 performs similarly in same cab, though is pushing the displacement/xmax issue a little harder.

I emailed P.Audio to ask them the Xmech of the FL-12LF - their response:

X mechanical = 10.5 mm
X max = 8 mm
Hvc = 26 mm
Hag = 10 mm

Surely that's way too close for comfort? My sim pushes it to around 9mm

I'm still waiting for B&C to reply re. 12TBX100's Xmech - Faital Pro 12HP1020 is 16mm.

Re: Re: LMS 5400 18 Parameters

Josh Ricci said:
I noticed that the graph posted for the MTX9500 looks really good especially the sensitivity. Is that for 1/2 space?

Yes, half space / 2.83V. The TH params are just a variant of what Bill Cowan posted in #699. The only unknown for me was the driver Le, which I couldn't find listed anywhere. I just dummied in 3 mH for modeling. Hopefully it's not too much higher than that, which would make the response much less smooth.

Regards,
Keith

As far as I know, the longest tapped horn built to date is Chris's Lab12.
Chris built 2, I built 1, and Tone P just needs to put on
the last panel to complete his. The acoustic length is just short of 19 feet.

Josh: are you seriously thinking about building this 24 foot
monster? If driven hard, it could cause structural failure of your house.

If you take your horn outside to test (2Pi), that peak at 68 Hz will not exist.
Put a little polyester in the throat, and peaks will not be a problem.

OTOH, room effects are going to cause major problems

Don Snyder said:
As far as I know, the longest tapped horn built to date is Chris's Lab12.
Chris built 2, I built 1, and Tone P just needs to put on
the last panel to complete his. The acoustic length is just short of 19 feet.

I will certainly chime in with some photos soon with my Lab12. I'm using 3/4" apple ply. Decided to use a 12x14x1/2" Green edge clear acrylic for a driver access panel (also able to see the lab12)

Thanks

Well...I'm fairly serious.

I've already got subwoofers that make me worry about structural damage sometimes, below 25hz. One in particular. That's why I wanted to use one of the 3 drivers I listed originally I already have them and I'm very familiar with what they'll do in standard vented or sealed enclosures. It'll be easier for me to tell what the enclosure is doing to the drivers output. I just had a PM from someone yesterday that may turn into an interesting TH development. We'll see. I heard a TH50 pushed quite hard in a 4000cu ft room in someone's home 2 weeks ago, so yes, I know how dumb this would be in a residential setting.:devilr: the TH50 was pretty wild. Who said it was destined to be in a home? It'd be for fun and research mostly.

Impulse response comparison

Hi JLH,

I have always liked the design you shared in Post #2362, it gives such great control over the size of the compression chamber and the horn throat. As David McBean added an impulse response plot to Hornresp, here is yours and the SPUD:

Regards,

Attachments

• ir_spud_v_jlh_w8_740.jpg
    ir_spud_v_jlh_w8_740.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,116
Re: Impulse response comparison

tb46 said:
Hi JLH,

I have always liked the design you shared in Post #2362, it gives such great control over the size of the compression chamber and the horn throat. As David McBean added an impulse response plot to Hornresp, here is yours and the SPUD:

Regards,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm more used to being yelled at for that tapped horn. The wife still hates it. :D

I can't tell, but is that a good impulse response? What does one look for in a "good" impulse response?

Rgs, JLH

impulse response

Hi JLH,

quote: "... but is that a good impulse response? What does one look for in a "good" impulse response?"

For a tapped horn it looks quite good to me, actually looks better than the simulated response for the SPUD, but then there is the question, how do they compare in a measurement, and more importantly what do they sound like?

There is always something else to investigate, there may actually be a reason why I have always ended up with dual 15" in sealed boxes. :)

Regards,

Attachments

• ir_bas horneman_bm_12w.jpg
    ir_bas horneman_bm_12w.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,037