Coaxial Speaker Build Thread with FaitalPro 6HX150

Hence I am also looking at its bigger sister FaitalPRO | Coaxial Loudspeakers | 8HX200 (8Ω).

Does anyone know more about this driver?

I like that driver also. Its got the smoothest HF I've seen on a coaxial. Vituix tells me it would work well with a pair of Dayton UM-8s but I need Faital to share their directivity measurements with me to be sure. No response to my request yet.

I sketched this up to see what it might look like augmented with a pair of UM8s:
attachment.php

If only I had Javad's wood working skills!

Attachments

• 8HX200renderedWithUM8s.png
    8HX200renderedWithUM8s.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 1,504
Yes, I use them in my surrounds. Very good driver. They're 3 way with a 2226 below, active, xed at 300 and 1k5.

That is very encouraging. Do you have any measurements you can share? Can you at least speak to how well the on axis response agrees with the data sheet?

What I'm would dearly love to have is a set of individual polar measurements for the HF and LF drivers separately so that I could import them into VituixCAD, develop an XO, and look at its power response and preference rating, but I know that is too much to ask for :).

I've done this, BTW, with synthesized directivity files based on a swag at the cone profile and the results are again very encouraging.

Thanks nc535 and Brett.

Directivity plot for the 8" here:

FaitalPRO | Coaxial Loudspeakers | 8HX200 (8Ω).

I am almost convinced. But this one might work too

Coaxial speaker Beyma 5CX200Fe, 8+8 ohm, 5 inch.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Perhaps it could be split off as a thread specific on experiences and measurements of coax speakers on the market.

Yes, Faital publishes a polar map but what I want/need is the files they used to generate it.

The Beyma is interesting but a little small for my taste. If my wife would let them in the room, I would be looking at 12" and 15" coaxials. The 8" is a good compromise.

That is very encouraging. Do you have any measurements you can share? Can you at least speak to how well the on axis response agrees with the data sheet?
Pretty well, but it was 2y ago and I don't recall more specifically and I can't access my server ATM. They are to be rebuilt in the NY, and I'll be doing another full round of measurements as the enclosure will be completely different. I have 2 designs and I'm not sure which I'll use. My earlier measurements were rough and I wasn't too hung up on detail as they were surrounds. The next version I'm hoping will last for many years so I'll take more care with the design.

What I'm would dearly love to have is a set of individual polar measurements for the HF and LF drivers separately so that I could import them into VituixCAD, develop an XO, and look at its power response and preference rating, but I know that is too much to ask for :).

I've done this, BTW, with synthesized directivity files based on a swag at the cone profile and the results are again very encouraging.
Because of other circumstances in my life I won't be able to do anything until maybe March when I'll also have a much, much better space to do measurements than off the verandah of my apartment. Basically a flat football field sized area in a quiet country town.

This is an OB with 2x12" MCM woofers and Faital 6HX150 (closed cabinet). I made it four years ago. Unfortunately I have a problem accessing the LspCAD files ATM so can't post measurements and project files. The 6HX150 is an excellent driver (both the mid and the CD) with low distortions, but does require some work to EQ the response to flat - specially the cone' resonances. The CD is easier to deal with, IIRC it was a single 2.2 uF cap plus wide-Q RCL EQ. Done right the sound is excellent, subjectively with lots of microdynamic and details. The pairing with the MCM twins was successful, making a passive x/o possible.

Attachments

• Faital OB.jpg
    Faital OB.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 382
That was based on the data sheet. Thanks for the dibirama link

The transition between HF and LF is always difficult in coaxial. More so I think if the coax employs a separate waveguide. An HF that allows a low XO is important as you note. Fortunately we can go a little lower than the recommended minimum XO for home use.

The HX200 really has trouble doesn't it in those third party measurements. One thing that's unclear is how the THD measurements of the tweeter were performed. They say they were done at 90-96-102dB but at what frequency was this SPL taken? Given its sensitivity varies by over 10dB from the bottom to the top of its range this is rather important. I do not expect them to have EQ'd it flat and then performed the measurements.

Ideally you'd want to cross it over at about 1800Hz but given how the woofers response falls like a stone taking the tweeter as low as possible seems like the best option.

I don't think its trouble is all that bad although its difficult to tell without doing one's own measurements. Certainly nothing wrong with its tweeter. I think a DSP FIR XO will be perfectly fine up to at least 1500 Hz. Unless you are thinking PA instead of home use, that shouldn't be a problem.

6CRF5130 - 6.5” coaxial with planar ribbon HF - Radian Audio

Available and indeed it seems to be workable. However, large Vas, high Qts, not really for the use I have in mind.

The sica only needs 0.7 liters to have an F-3dB of 225 Hz. That would be perfect for the enclosure I have in mind. But I would love to hear the Radian, which judging on its parameters, would seem to be more for theatre use as surround speakers.

Yes, I have them in a temporary box of 12L, eq-ing the crap of them, they are taking it! But no real bottom end of course. I have plans to make a sphere for them complemented with some bass support, but someone is laughing at my plans...

I think they suffer from the protruding voice coil dip as any other similar coaxial drivers, but I would say it's not obvious when comparing with my Genelec's. The compression driver is more enjoyable than the metal dome in my 1030A

Some narrowing around 2.5kHz and they were difficult to get where I'm today, but enjoyable now. The sound is stable when moving around in room, pretty happy with them in general...