CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?

Hi ,
Merry Christmas!
Couldn't wait to heard your result.

Enjoy the holiday.

And to you !

I had a few moments before Boxing day kicks off to do this - added some 100R smd resistors to the I2S lines. It's a hack, so it looks ugly but the connections are 100%. I can add the adum3440 after the resistors.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Frankensolder

:eek:

On the third attempt, finally, I got reliable strong solder joints. What a dog's dinner. Those smd resistors did not want to co-operate, and I went through 8 of them, but I was determined to use them for the better performance, and finally, it was done and with 100% good connections. The cable is cat6 single core. the grey putty makes sure the joins don't get stressed. I plan to use a filter+3.3V reg for the input side but for initial tests, power is direct from the usb. Unfortunately, I've run out of time so it'll have to wait until the new year to test.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unix - I have realised you mean desoldering the clocks on the USB side and thus allowing them to be isolated. But there are three xo's, and the usb pcb locates them very close to the CM6631, so I'm certain that relocating them for cleaner power would result in longer lines and more, not less, jitter. So instead I have used a cap multiplier to clean up the usb power to this board, along with an ultra low esr Nichicon PL cap, described in post 46

Last edited:
Your hack gives a new meaning to "isolator" :)
The adum3440 arrived today. I don't have a wide body adapter pcb, so I cut a regular sop16 in half, soldered on the adum, and then used epoxy putty to make a very strong bridge. I'll try fitting it after the holidays, to see if it makes a difference.

Merry Christmas !

228555-Happy-Emoticon-Holding-A-Glass-Of-Red-Wine-Poster-Art-Print.jpg

Hi all,
Merry Christmas (late) and happy New Year!
I have one of diyinhk usb to I2s converters but have not been able to make it sing,In foobar it says it's loaded at least down in the left bottom corner and it says the cm audio device is found,drivers from site,winxp pro,but no output so I took it loose and connected a scope, should I be able to read these outputs with out a dac connected to it and does it seem to have the drivers loaded correctly,I am about ready to load linux ubuntu newest and try to see if it will find and load it,and of course play it!
Thanks ,
No Smoking,lol a play on burning up perfectly good parts,lol

Hi KlipschKid,
I got it to work had 3 problems all nipping at my toes,lol.
A bad switch ,headphone cord(don't loan headphones to your kids),
and wrong drivers,
To make a short story out of this,IF you have one of these boards ,load the setup file form the site first and it will tell you when to connect the board,I never could get windows to find the correct driver manually,lol.but it is working now,sounds good in hardware,now the fun part software,,,,lol.
Thanks to all that post,it helped!
NS

Last edited:
Hi,

You'll need to find the pin for spdif in, feed it ttl level spdif, and get a driver and firmware to control it (Asus' should work). Here are the pins.

Can you find it ? :confused:

If not, quit now. :rolleyes:

It's pin 40. :cool:

It can be done as this photo from Asus' Website for the Essence One shows inputs, but I wouldn't attempt it because those pins are too small for me to work with. How about you ? Do you know a device with an easy pin out connector ? Is there one on the market ? Have a look on Ebay and Taobao.

ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar Essence One

Last edited: