Clonus Faber Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seth

You got good advice from the folks here.

If this is your first design project, you need to understand that it can take a few months to tune the crossover to your satisfaction. My second set of speakers took 2 years to get right, while the first set only took a couple of weeks. This was purely because of the fact that I was on a learning curve. In the case of the first pair, I guess I got lucky.

I want to echo the others' recommendation of Speaker Workshop. The functionality gained with this software is what I consider to be the minimum requirement for a designer. Some experts do manage to tune by ear, etc., but this skill takes years to acquire.

If you are open to the thought of getting SoundEasy, you must know that it has an emulator function that enables one to listen to a particular crossover design without building it physically.

All that said, there are several designs on the net that use these drivers, and copying those designers' crossovers might be a good place to start. You are in the fortunate predicament that the design issues encountered with those drivers are failry well understood by a number of folk in cyberspace, so support should be good.

Lastly, if budget is an issue, you may consider using the Usher drivers instead of the Scans. Usher has equivalent drivers for the SS units you mentioned, that have received quite favourable reviews.

Good luck with your project. It sounds promising.

Shaun said:
Seth

You got good advice from the folks here.

Lastly, if budget is an issue, you may consider using the Usher drivers instead of the Scans. Usher has equivalent drivers for the SS units you mentioned, that have received quite favourable reviews.

Good luck with your project. It sounds promising.

Of course it's good advice, I mean Seth has paid heafty consulting fee...oh wait never mind! :D

I've measured the Usher copies of the Scan-Speak drivers, although I've never designed a speaker with them. The tweeter did not do nearly as well as a Scan-Speak would on an IMD test. The woofer did VERY well, in some respects besting the Scan-Speak drivers (and in others, not doing as well.)

Drivers that do very well for IMD are also the Vifa XT series, Peerless CSX, and Seas Excel (Obviously.) I find low IMD drivers usually end up sounding cleaner and clearer in the finished system.

Scott Hinson

Seth Smith said:
Alright, I've got speaker workshop downloaded and I gave the help section a quick once over. It looks like it can do everything I will need to design the crossover and really tweak the system. Now, I just need to make my supply purchases. Maybe by the time I get the cabinets done, I will have the program down enough to really put it to use.

Speaker Workshop is very powerful for freeware, but the documentation is sparse. For a good tutorial, check out Claudio Negro's site. He's a forum member.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.