Clipping GC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tried the zobel.

Technically speaking, I can turn it up a bit more now, into the high 90 decibel range, peaks near 100. The "clipping" or distortion sound, its almost entirely located in the midrange, on either speaker, during loud midrange sounds. Maybe I damaged the mids during the first listening session, or, maybe they were damaged to begin with...

I'm going to try a different amp, see if I can reproduce, and, if not, try different speakers, and see if this GC just doesn't "like" these.

Subjectively speaking, I think some of the "magic" is gone. Highs don't seem as crisp. To be honest, for whatever reason, it now sounds like any other of my amps I've listened to on these speakers. Kinda just "normal" now... Need more listening to be certain.

I built this to only power some tweeters in an active crossover bi-amped setup, so, I may not need to worry about this much.

So, assuming they'll only be running some Audax silk dome tweeters, would one recommend removing the Zobel?

try limiting the supply voltage to +/- 26V, you are really cooking the chip with a 34V supply and a 4R load.
I would second that one! Why does people always want to push the voltage limit on these chips????I see no reason to exceed the 2*22v limit! I am running my chipamp from a 2*18volt trafo, and it plays just fine! I also know it will behave correctly, connected to a 4Ohm speaker! There is plenty of power with 2*18volts:) You really have to think twice about the rail voltage! Drfrink, your problems could be in the supply voltage!

Steen.:)

steenoe said:
I would second that one! Why does people always want to push the voltage limit on these chips????I see no reason to exceed the 2*22v limit! I am running my chipamp from a 2*18volt trafo, and it plays just fine! I also know it will behave correctly, connected to a 4Ohm speaker! There is plenty of power with 2*18volts:) You really have to think twice about the rail voltage! Drfrink, your problems could be in the supply voltage!

Steen.:)

First, to make things crystal clear, its an 8 ohm load.

Second, I'd have no problem trying this, whats a good way to limit the voltage that won't affect the quality of the sound?

DRfrink...

All these guys who have answered have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

However, I am running a BrianGT 3875 (V1) with +/-34VDC rails. It's only hot when I crank it and when I do, my ears bleed. The speakers are ~5.5 ohms. There is no distortion, midrange or otherwise.

Please triple check your work and/or try another amp.

chipco3434 said:
DRfrink...

All these guys who have answered have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

However, I am running a BrianGT 3875 (V1) with +/-34VDC rails. It's only hot when I crank it and when I do, my ears bleed. The speakers are ~5.5 ohms. There is no distortion, midrange or otherwise.

Please triple check your work and/or try another amp.

I should try different speakers as well.

Well, its not the GC.

In one of my many "blast you out the door" surround sound demos, I must have blown the mid-ranges in my rear surrounds...

Oh well, maybe I'll try and fix them up.

I'm actually pretty happy to find that my GC wasn't the problem. I might even remove the Zobel, since thats not what the buzzing/clipping sound was from...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.