CLIO Pocket

Dirk thank you very much for the help. I figured it out and it works. Now I need to learn how to use the software. Apparently silly me did not realize the software needed to be installed first. I thought the software would automatically download from the clio itself. My mac has no CD drive so I couldn't install it with the CD. I took it to work and used a Windows computer with CD drive to transfer the CD to a USB thumb drive. I then took the thumb drive and put it in my MAC to download the software. I now have calibrated the CLIO and will start testing tonight. For anyone with Mac without a CD drive you need to first transfer the CD to USB to get the software.

Yes I did.
You have to use Sin or RTA not logchirp or MLS.

Rob

Hi Rob!

Not sure if the CLIO pocket has got the same features for that. Eg. the sine setting is only for 1 frequency instead of a sweep. However, pink-noise could be something that works (using a CD with pink noise).
For the sine, if I run a CD with an old fashion sine-sweep, what would be the best way for CLIO to grab the system output?

Cheers

Arno

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi all

Thats an interesting topic. Measuring the DAC with external signal.

1. I have 1 doubt. the calibration probably is a pure internal loop. Likely it compensates the in- and output together. Each of them contributes to unlinearity. But the calibration will contain both. Having a DAC then results in not using the output, while its still part of the compensation. Anyone tested that with an external calibrated analogue device? (laboratory generator)

2. I did it once with noise, but my response was very rugged, like an in-room-speaker response. Not as smooth as devices are. Did I use wrong settings?

3. Ideally I prefer logsweeps. But I assume recording such in the exact sequence down to a single sample precise like CLIO generates it isnt easy. Any experiences?

cheers
Josh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi Arno. Likely we experienced the same thing. I cant test it now but, can you try enlarging your window, adding multiple averaging instances etc ? Something that would potentially average the bumpiness away. My best guess blames a short window not having counted all cycles in the noise... (?)

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi Arno. I disagree with the accuracy.
Smearing rather affects notches and peaks in the resolution.
Devices usually have low order bandpass behaviour. That would remain.
Smoothing it certainly would affect the "knees" of such, but not the general shape.

I experimented to extreme extend with speaker averaging.
Static behaviour, the actual stable distortion you aim to discover, repeats reliably constant and as such survives the average.
Dynamic noise, hiss, unstable distortion would be the only thing eliminated.

Averaging with noise in room for speaker measurements is a great tool for example.
Or beamforming (logsweep) to eliminate the room while remaining sharp peaks of the speaker visible (or the only way to MAKE them visible).

cheers
Josh

distortion in impulse response

Has anyone ever gotten this in their impulse response? I have been measuring a new active speaker and the mid range and woofer are showing this weird noise on the impulse. I've never gotten this before. Any ideas?

Attachments

• fuzz.jpg
    fuzz.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 164
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi diypass

I was wondering too, googled bits and pieces of information, tried like that (not sure, experts correct me please :) )

- clamp an 8.0 (or usually 8.2 available) Ohms resistor on your amp output
- plug your CLIO out to the amps in
- clamp your CLIO in crocodiles on legs of the resistor that bridges your amp out from + to -
- turn down the amp volume to minimum
- set the CLIO sensitivity to maximum voltage / dB range
- turn off loopback, phantom mic
- set CLIO output voltage low like 0.01v
- run the CLIO voltmeter (right hand side) with e.g. 1kHz sine output
- start gently increasing the amp volume till you hit 2.83 volts
- once reached, leave it all untouched
- replace resistor with your speaker
- replace crocodile clamp with your microphone
- turn on phantom power and place mic 1m from speaker

cheers
Josh