Classic op-amp schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am cleaning my office and found my stash of "ancient" reverse engineering projects. This is the BB3554, it was near the top in its day ~1979. These product are now obsolete and there is no longer any IP interest. I thought some of you might enjoy seeing where folks were back then, in some cases not too far off from were things are now. This was in a BIG 12 pin TO-3 can (note the BeO substrate).

Attachments

• bb3554.jpg
    bb3554.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,247
Bootstrapped jfet input cascode on BB3554

Hello,

Thanks for posting the schematic Scott. I was actually looking of using a jfet input cascode that is bootstrapped for a amp circuit like this chip.

I think that Q3 and Q4 cascode jfets must have higher Idss than the input Jfets Q1 and Q2 and higher Vp. This is going by some other jfet self biasing circuits I have seen though I don't know about other pre requisites.

Just out of interest does anyone have any references or experience with this arrangement ?

Thanks

Re: Bootstrapped jfet input cascode on BB3554

Fanuc said:
Hello,

Thanks for posting the schematic Scott. I was actually looking of using a jfet input cascode that is bootstrapped for a amp circuit like this chip.

I think that Q3 and Q4 cascode jfets must have higher Idss than the input Jfets Q1 and Q2 and higher Vp. This is going by some other jfet self biasing circuits I have seen though I don't know about other pre requisites.

Just out of interest does anyone have any references or experience with this arrangement ?

Thanks

The data sheets should be available on line somewhere. I think the FET second stage take off is key (for almost infinite current gain). Virtually no one has done this in IC's, probably for headroom issues.

Tomorrow I will post the most horrifying schematic I found.

Thanks a lot for posting that schematic, Scott!

It is always amazing to get a bit of insight into opamps.

Cool :cool:

Have fun, Hannes

PS: stunning that one could do 1nF caps within the IC?? Doesn't take that a lot of space?

EDIT: amazing little amp. No reason why one shouldn't spice up the output stage (VBE-multi to get into ClassAB) and have a nice amp even today.

Classic No. 2

OK todays offering is a TP1430 from now defunct Teledyne Philbrick the same people that brought you the first modular tube op-amps. I don't think Bob Pease worked on this, but it has some scary feed-forward. Note again extensive use of FET's. Remember these are modular products built on substrates with all discrete devices the same ones we use for DIY but in chip form.

Attachments

• tp1430.jpg
    tp1430.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 679
PMA said:
How about Analog Devices 46? ILC HVA-23?

Sorry PMA I only have a faded model 44/48 schematic that won't scan, but I do have the classic Model 50 which is close. Kitted up with hand selected resistors. I remember when we bought FET's that were matched in waffel-packs and sometimes an operator would spill them and just put them back at random.:bawling:

Attachments

• m50.jpg
    m50.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 600
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.