Class G/H

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have just completed my form for my 3rd year project. I am to make either a class G or H audio amp ( my own choice).
I read up on what the terms mean and they both sounded interesting.
Has anyone got any tips on what to look out for when designing this amp. I think the Class H looks a better design that modulates the voltage rails so I would really like to takle that problem

I have buit a few amps in the past, but not designed on as yet so really looking forward to it.

Thanks for any info

Mike Cole

BTW, the Self class D is available in kit form. Obviously that's cheating for a 3rd year project.

Since one of the reasons for the class is to reduce the physical size of the amp, one of the key elements is getting your hands on an appropiate transformer such as a 35-18-0-18-35. Obviously you could use two but that kind of negates some of the objectives. A true DIY fanatic would wind his own, of course.

thanh said:
Steven! What's about discrete class H?
What is the difference between class AB and class H?
Who have just succeeded in building a class H amp?

I have no 'simple' discrete class H circuit at hand. Some more complex circuits can be found on the web, like the ones from QSC.

A class H circuit often uses the charge pump principle to charge a capacitor which is switched in series with the normal supply voltage during signal peaks exceeding the normal supply voltage. This does not require additonal secondaries of the transformer. The TDA1560, mentioned above, even works on a single supply voltage. Using a bridged amplifier (BTL) with floating feedback you can use a single charge pump to boost the supply voltage for both positive and negative signal peaks.

The mentioned patent from Sano is a special case class H amplifier. Actually it is a high efficiency class A amplifier using a class B amplifier as power supply. Normally this is not considred as class H. Class H amps are class AB amps with a modulated power supply to increase the efficiency. It was pioneered by Soundcraftsmen.

Steven

First page:

Attachments

• 4115739.gif
    4115739.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 230
Hi thanh,

I think the first page already says it all. Anyway the whole patent is 15 pages, too many to put on this forum while it is readily available from the patent website.
You said you had trouble with the Alternatiff viewer on IE5.0. I suggest you upgrade to IE6 or I can give you the link to the European patent office. These Swiss guys store everything in pdf format. So if you have Acrobat, go ahead.

http://gb.espacenet.com/espacenet/gb/en/e_net.htm
for the search page. Make sure to enter USA patents with US in front of the number and no commas, otherwise it cannot find it. So, in this case: US4115739 Then follow the 'Requested patent' link. It's a pity it shows the pdf's only page for page.

Steven

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.