Class D for electrostatic speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Eva said:
How about a self oscillating class D amplifier with post-filter feedback using the leakage inductance of the transformer as output filter L and the capacitance of the ESL as output filter C?

Sounds like a great idea. Shootz, I was wanting to do something like that with normal dynamic drivers. The ESL seems like a much better use.

Many years ago Philips tried to develop a full digital amp that aimed at getting the full potential out of the SACD and had the problem that no switching transistor was fast enough to do 2.8Mhz delta-sigma without correcting feedback. So they took 16 switching devices, where any of them only handled every 16th bit and every bit was extended to 16 times of its original width, resulting in 16 bitstreams of 1/16 of the original rate, running phase-shifted to each other. These 16 bitstreams were added to give a slightly lowpassed version of the original bitstream.
I don´t know whether the voltages were really added in that concept, probably rather not, but could it be done with floating power supplies?
If not, an alternative would be the use of Thyratrons, but these are even slower, so one would probably have 64 switching devices or so.

I know this thread may be old but I find myself needing some advice: I built a pair of ESLs and I'm driving them with a AA-AB32312 Sure amp board. Based on this thread it seems as though there's some way to tweak the amp to be better suited for driving these panels. Could anyone point me in the right direction of where to go with this?

Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.