• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Class D Audio Amplifiers

I am looking at the TA3020v4 as a power amp for two bass cabinets.

The TA3020v4 can deliver about 600/800W in BTL mode on 8R load depending on the version.
you can also consider the IRS2092 amplifier modules, with a suitable power supply such as SMPS500R or SMPS800R.
making a direct comparison between the two amps would be difficult because they are build for different purposes, and also have different features.

IRS2092 Modular Amplifier PS voltage question

Hi Cristi,

I have a question about your IRS2092 Modular Amplifier (the mono amp module). Assuming I have a 500W transformer with 50-0-50 secondaries, possibly as high as 54-0-54, can the IRS2092 Modular Amplifier be used with that? Assuming a full bridge type rectifier and 1.4V drop through the diodes, this would give me +/-68V to +/-75V rails, which is just in between the 400W and 600W versions of the amp.

Can this transformed be used with either the 400W or 600W version somehow?

How about the TA0105ARB board with this transformer? Perhaps that would be a better choice?

-Charlie

Last edited:
Hi Charlie,
the obtainable voltage range is just above the supply voltage range of the 400W module and under the supply voltage range of the 600W module. but, is still possible to configure the 600W module to work with this voltage. the main difference between the modules are the output devices, gate drive resistors, dead time setting and overcurrent threshold. then the under-voltage and over-voltage threshold which is determined by the values of the zenner diodes used. lastly the bias supply resistors. there are about 10-12 components which have different values/type from the 150W to 400W or 600W version.
in conclusion is possible to set a module to work with the voltage which you have but must be configured so.
TA0105ARB low impedance version can work with the available voltages.

Hi Charlie,
the obtainable voltage range is just above the supply voltage range of the 400W module and under the supply voltage range of the 600W module. but, is still possible to configure the 600W module to work with this voltage. the main difference between the modules are the output devices, gate drive resistors, dead time setting and overcurrent threshold. then the under-voltage and over-voltage threshold which is determined by the values of the zenner diodes used. lastly the bias supply resistors. there are about 10-12 components which have different values/type from the 150W to 400W or 600W version.
in conclusion is possible to set a module to work with the voltage which you have but must be configured so.
TA0105ARB low impedance version can work with the available voltages.

Hi Cristi,

Thanks for the reply! I think that the 600W IRS2092 Modular Amplifier, built up for these rails, would be the best approach. The detuned 600W module is a good match for the transformer rating, too.

How do I order the customized amp module? I assume that I need to tell you the rail voltage (or range or rail voltages) that I would like to use... what is the best way to give you this information?

-Charlie

Hi Cristi,

Im not sure if you recieved my email :/

I have a similar set up as charlie is suggesting

54-0-54v transformer, bridge rectifier, 80v 15000uF capacitor per rail. However I have measure the dc rail voltages that this outputs with no load as +/- 86.3V.

Would the 600w module be safe on these voltages or would I have to unwind the transformer to get the voltage down to roughly 80V?

Pete

Hi Pete,

your transformer will roughly give +-76V DC at idle and up to +-80V considering the mains voltage variations. the lower limit depends on the transformer size and load, and can go down to +-60V in worst case. thus a 600W module can be used if the under-voltage threshold is set to about 60V and the bias resistors as well. no need to unwind the transformer unless you want to use a lower power module such as the 400W or 250W one(s). what is the size and power rating of the transformer ?

This is the PA amp I have, was in the process of repairing but the pcb's on the output stages are in very poor condition.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The power rating of the transformer is not written on it but the amplifier its from was class AB producing 400Wrms 4ohms and 240Wrms 8ohms per Chanel.

Separate transformer etc for each Chanel. Each transformer weighs about 8kg

Each 54V output before rectification has a 10 amp fast blow fuse.

My mains voltage is 244-247V so this probably explains the high rail voltage.

Im glad to know I could use the 600w module with a couple of components changed :)

Do you think I could maybe use 2 per transformer?

Pete,

that amplifier looks very rugged, and i think it deserve one more chance to fix-it. if cannot be fixed, then you can consider replacing the power stages. being a class AB amplifier, the transformers are rated to probably double the output power. using class D modules instead, will allow you to get at least 1000W on each channel, considering their higher efficiency and the fact that the power drawn by the amplifiers is not continuous and this transformers have a long enough thermal constant to allow short time overload.
so, i assume that 2 class D IRS2092 modules for each transformer is not too much and they should supply them without too much voltage sag. if the amp was not used for a long time, check the big electrolytic capacitors, see if their capacitance hasn't drop and if there are no leaks.

Thanks for all the help!

Allot of the tracks on the pcb are broken, the working output pcb has been repaired before and has allot of bad looking jumpers where the tracks are broken.

When the output broke I was playing a 50hz sine wave into it and measuring the output voltage with no load with the gain all the way up, So i could set the limiters on my dcx2496. A friend who repairs lots of amps tried replacing the large transistors but it broke 4 when switched on so he just told me to replace everything on the board apart from resistors as they have not been damaged.