• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

class A S.E. OTL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MYSTERY?... NO!

Hi,

Quick question, is that 8uF cap on the output large enough to get bass from?

'Course not. How could it? But the xformer pulled it of though.

Mind you, choosing either one of the proposed outputs didn't change the sonic result much on my 90dB+ speakers...

Odd enough I prefered the capcoupled output...go figure.

Angela.com has el86 @$6.00 each but only four, 3 are "Admiral" and one Mullard, so no spares.

There should be plenty of EL86s floating around....I buy mine from Halfin in Belgium.

Any hints regarding construction on this amp

It's simple enough, Einsteinian if you like...

I should have the full schematic on one the HDDs, I'll post it asap.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Shown are the PS caps, but if the top and bottom rails are supply voltage then they could be coupling caps. Same thing.

Yes.*

Now show us how smart you really are and find us an OTL that has NO caps in the signal path.

Just kidding Tim, but I think you see my point?

*Only for designers designing for the fun of it...

Hit me with a rithm stick...;)

Well you said:

fdegrove said:
Sure that can be done but that's still going to require an outputcap to block DC isn't it?

Then I said:

Well gee, if you want to get into semantics like that, then WTF are any of us doing with sheety AC power eh?

So apparently, you are in violation of yourself, because you use AC power supply. ;) So now you gotta buy up a bunch of car batteries. . . .

Tim

Going off at a slight tangent

That reminds me ! :idea: I have a pair of 7mH double c-core chokes that have 0.1 ohm DCR , rated at 5A . Do you think these will be a good cathode load for 3 x parallel SE 6C33 a side running at 1A ? I was thinking zero feedback , OTL , OCL with the 6C33 running fixed bias at 40w dissipation per valve . Surely with a choke with such low DCR I can lose the output coupling cap as the DC offset will be very low ? I hate large coupling caps , especially electrolytics : they sound AWFUL! . Chokes may be a bit low in value for full range usage in this application though . Or am I completely wrong ? :dead:

316a

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

800 ohm philips in open baffle, and el86 in srpp but used like triode, not pentode.

The SRPP Philips AG9015 schematic has the EL86 wired in pseudo triode.
Just look at R1 and R4.

Surely with a choke with such low DCR I can lose the output coupling cap as the DC offset will be very low ? I hate large coupling caps , especially electrolytics : they sound AWFUL! . Chokes may be a bit low in value for full range usage in this

No, that won't solve the DC issue.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Yes.*

Now show us how smart you really are and find us an OTL that has NO caps in the signal path.

Just kidding Tim, but I think you see my point?

*Only for designers designing for the fun of it...

Hit me with a rithm stick...;)
Of course there is not an AC powered amp in existance that does not have a power supply in series with the load (by whatever circuiticious route).
In fact I can deliver on one without a cap in the signal path:
On one of Steve Bench's pages, there is a cap-less amp, and that includes the power supply!
Here's the power supply:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers,

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

But 316a's point is that with only 100mV offset, it might not be worth worrying about it.

Sure. 100mV into an 8 Ohm load would only slightly pull the woofer out of center position.

No big deal, give it your best shot.

You can always capcouple the output initially, monitor it for a while and once you're confident enough you can bypass it.

The only trouble that could potentially arise is at start up so, careful.

Cheers,;)

hmmm.......

Capcouple the output , pah !!! Saying that I do have 200 LCR 10uF motor runs to parallel up :) I may just build this amp for fun :) Fullrange or not . I'm guessing here but say for instance the choke is rated at 7Mh at 5A : surely I would have more inductance available if running far less current through the thingies ? Methinks with the DC offset , it would be best to take the speaker connections from directly from across the choke to minimise the offset instead of 0V and cathode . I have some B&W DM12 as test speakers , these have cap coupling even to the bass driver , probably ideal for testing this type of thing :nod:

316a

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Capcouple the output , pah !!!

Hey, burn away all those sucker B&W speakies you like...just don't pin it on us.

OTLS can deliver mucho amps so I would'nt bet my speakers x-overs' caps to stop it from biting right through it.

On a more serious note, draw up some diagram and I may be able to point to some caveats...

Cheers,;)

The transental 1.5w se otl amp schematic was posted here a couple of years ago.
It used 2 cascoded triode stages for voltage amplification, 4 6c19pi tubes in parallel with a choke load for the output. Most of the bias voltage was supplied from a -12v bias supply. But it sure looks like the amp might have been inspired by this old design that used parallel 6as7's .

A few years ago another seotl amp was offered from ARG Audio Labs it was rated at 3.5W and only used 2 tubes a 6ch6 ? and a 6c33c-b. I think
they went out of business. Fikus Lampizator says he will post the schematic one of these days when he has time .....

Attachments

• 6as7otl.jpg
    6as7otl.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 77
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.