• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

CHR 70A Gen3 Dual Driver for Pensil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
'FAST' is a ludicrous acronym for 'Full Range with Subwoofer Technology' -because as everyone knows, subwoofers are 'technology' while nothing else is. :rolleyes:

Shoving a second pair of drivers into the Pensil 10.2 will significantly change the alignment -the pensils are not exempt from the laws of physics. That said, I was never overly fond of that particular box -I compromised performance somewhat to limit the size. If I get chance over the next 24 hours or so I'll see if there's any chance. Double 10.2s -you might get away with it in terms of output lobing, although dispersion off the vertical will suffer somewhat at the very least; they're really a bit big for this. You could go 1.5 way though, as noted, which would reduce this somewhat, at the expense of an LF biased balance.

Thanks for the explanation on the "FAST" acronym. Like I said, it's been a while for me.

As for "shoving" more drivers into the enclosure, I already know size is going to have to increase. That's not an issue. These Polk towers are rather large, standing 50" high and 20" deep, the NHT's are 40" tall and 22" deep. Not only that, I don't have to do a Pensil design. It can be a standard ported design if need be. Isn't the Pensil a type of TL anyway?

Even if it is biased a little more towards LF, it can probably be tuned out with more stuffing or being pulled further away from the rear wall I would imagine, yes?

Very nice little amp. 25w/channel.

dave

Yes Dave, 25 watts. Sorry, it was late and I was tired when I wrote that last night.

'Full Range + Subwoofer" Technology? Really should be woofer, not subwoofer.

'Full Range + Woofer" Technology = FRWT

kinda hard to pronounce.

I assummed the cabinet would have its girth (wxd) doubled, then it would be OK.

Could be wired in series with a shunt cap to make it 1 1/2 way with no sensitivity gain (voltage amp assummed).

SHould make pretty good bass :D

dave

I now have a fully custom, fully maxed out Odyssey Audio Khartago Kismet amp producing at least 160 watts per channel at 8 ohms, and it's stable down to 1 ohm at nearly 1000 watts, so if I use four Alpair 10 drivers per enclosure and have it wired as a 1.5-way, no sensitivity gain won't be an issue.

Not that I will ever need or use that kind of power since we live in an apartment, and probably will for a few more years... Unfortunately.

p233326291-4.jpg

p4274023-4.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.