Choose proper load resistance for MC step-up transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One ting I can say is use as little loading as you can as your first step . Lyra introduced me to this. Sometimes we load a cartridge to help the amplifier that follows . Changing direction slightly . MM is more complex . I was shown that my dislike of Shure cartridges was loading . The gentleman Mr Stefan Gibbert ( ? ) showed me that 1M ohm was best . He then said one needs to change the EQ to get flat frequency response . His argument to me was I only liked MC because I never loaded an MM correctly . Most MC's have better separation and work in a more organic way for want of better words . I have to admit what he could do with MM was good .

If building a purely electronic pre amp these rules still apply . I do notice a very low loading if transformer is different to a resistor sonically . If very low it makes the cartridge work harder which might be a good idea . Just slugging an MC into an op amp sounds different . 5 times the coil resistance should be OK as a minimum resistance . Non inductive resistors if purely electronic sound better , no idea if with a transformer . Absolutely no idea why if asking . Just reverse phase couple some cheap ones helps . Use a ty-rap and the coloured bands to indicate phase to get it to work . If the same batch the bands show spiral cut phase . Tyco foils work well . Carbon Comp is not as noisy as you would think . The cartridge shunts the noise . They have the 1950's sound . A bit dark . Ironically measurements I have almost make them the best in the mid band . Tyco were $20 each . A friend asked me to fit them . It changed the sound . Like a very clean stylus !!! The phased cheap ones were not bad .

It is said 5 Hz - 3 db for transformer ability if you can .

I dont know why but my SUT ( 1:10 Jensen JT-115epc) sounds better with only 47k load from MM phono preamplifier.If this load is lower add an other resistence ( eg 30Kohm for 18kohm total) it sounds lean without body.Dont works.

I wonder if it needs higher load as 47K ( reflected 470 ohm).May be 100k? The next try.

The cartridge is a MC AT-F3iii 12ohm DC resistence and the minimal load the specs say >100 ohm.

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.