• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke current

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To calculate the critical value, your B+ voltage and choke resistance is needed. Also nice would be minimum and peak current.

Critical value increases as current drops, for the choke to drop your B+, x amount of current must always be drawn. This isnt an issue in class A, and not a big one in typical ~70% rich class AB hifi. You may need bleeder resistors to insure choke criticality in some cases though.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I have two PTs. Initially i bought the Hammond 370HX because i was going to use silicon diodes but then i changed my mind and decided to go tube rec so i bought a nice power trafo from an old tube radio shop here in Madrid. The transformer gives exactly the same voltages as the schematic posted, it has plenty of current available, i have tried it in another circuit with 6AS7s (160mA) and worked great...warm not hot to the touch.
If i am to use the Hammond i willl have to change many things, recalculate values...the Hammond looks better though...
What's your suggestion?

I really don't like the dual supply approach because i don't want the chassis to be too large.

OK,

Now that I understand the problem is simple:

1. You must build 2 of the circuits from the inductor point forward. So 2 inductors, 4 82 UF caps, 2 - 2.2K reistors.

2. Connect the second circuit at the 1uF capacitor (same as pin 8 of 5y3.

You are using the 5Y3 at the limit... no problem... just no more!

All is well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.