Chip amp power supply- a beginners guide

Hi Andrew. I jsut dismantel the amp because the chip running hot and I just mount on a thin aluminum. I am in procees of buying diecast harmmod enclosure, which the best I can find within country. I do have a spare spu board and parts. If say I put 2 gaincard board together in 1 chassis, and external the trannny to 2 saperated (1 box for each trans), whould it cause any humming?

a monoblock avoids some of the Hum problems that a dual mono or other two channel amp often run into.

expect to get your two channel amplifier wrong on first build. Allow lot of time to debug your first amplifier.

I suggest you forget about a case/chassis until AFTER you have learned how to correctly assemble a single chipamp amplifier on the work bench.

Only after you have learned how it works and what errors cause problems and learned how to eliminate all those wiring errors, do you then try to fold the bench top amplifier into a package that will fit inside a case/chassis, do you finally measure what size of case is required and then order a case that will fit your final package.

BUT the pursuit of excellence is worth it, no matter the cost.

And I would bet there is a way to DIY these caps without actually spending much ... It appears that these capacitors could be made in the kitchen ... using any stringy weed ... on a cookie sheet ... for the cost of the gas for 24 hours @ 350 degrees (F). (Of course I have't worked out how to solder on the leads, yet. :hypno2: )

Concentrate on TWO separate issues and treat them as separate issues.

A.) SAFETY
Connect the Chassis direct to the Protective Earth wire in the mains cable/IEC input socket.

B.) Audio
Connect the Audio Ground so that the amplifier operates properly.

AFTER you have those attended to, put the amplifier in the Chassis and direct connect the Audio Ground to the protected Chassis (not to the Safety Earth).
Does the amplifier "hum". What does it measure?

You may need to add a Disconnecting Network instead of that Chassis to Audio Ground direct wire link. But only do this is the direct wire causes hum.

Install a ground loop breaker per transformer. Place them between the chassis and the ground of each amp board. It is important that there are no other connections between the two amp boards or between the amp boards and chassis.

Here is a schematic, not for a MyRef, but it should be helpful.

Attachments

• tCad1 duo mono amp.png
    tCad1 duo mono amp.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 550