Chip-amp challenging D-amp ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks.

I am currently using a heavily modded Charlize module.
I read about certain Chips-Amps around here, which seem to be a real alternative -- on a first glance. ;)

A bit of backgorund:

I've done some engineering on my entire chain in the past,
which ended up here:

DAC and AMP are integrated into one box!
I am controlling the volume with the PC (Linux), running a USB-DDDAC and connecting right to a heavily modded Charlize module firering 98db/SPL fullrange speakers.
The Charlize is powered by a 12V SLA (100Ah-Northstar) and delivering a gain of 14db ( my special setup! normal is 21db). This allows me to run most of my material at a prefered listening level in the range of 3db digital attentuation on the PC.

I tried a lot of other stuff, nothing came close to above.

The other issue I do cover with above ( "the flexible gain") balancing the difference between subwoofers and my fullrange by using different gains for each amp.
There is no further need to have a level adjustment between sub and fullrange.

Now back to the chip amp:
What would be a chip amp matching above setup, covering

a. flexible gain adjustment
b. SLA supply ( +/- 12V if possible)
c. soundquality
d. Not more than 3-5W power is needed

THX for your advise.

Cheers
Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I have always been interested to try the TDA7384 after reading this thread. When I looked at the time of the thread I tracked it down somewhere but it was quite expensive (not very when you consider it is 4 channels). Seems to have been replaced now. Doesn't have flexible gain.

National have 12v 6W "boomer" amplifiers which have flexible gain - can't comment on sound quality.

Ross

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.