• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Chinese Tube Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bernardo:
Hi........Just down south of you here in Argentina, I am still trying to find a transformer manufacturer in country that will make a 'special order' for me...I have designed an 813 Single ended amp but the transformers would be imported....as my wife (Argentinian born) points out to me, the importing of said transformers will drive the price way out of reason.
That said, when we came here we brought our appliances which were 220VAC but the distribution was different requiring a large transformer for our clothes dryer. The KEY was this transformer was a custom made 220VAC-220VAC isolation type with a center tap on the secondary. This transformer is Appx 200 mm high, 300mm wide,300mm deep...at 20? Kilos'.
It was 'made' for appx. 1200 Pesos. This monster is priced just fine considering the Peso to dollar conversion rate!
This great pricing is what got me to consider building tube amps in the first place. Look up www.kaizenelectronica.com.ar they won't respond to my E-mails....perhaps we can work together to find suitable LOCAL manufacturers.
_______________________________________Rick...........

Attachments

• img_1193.jpg
    img_1193.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 750
Wavebourn said:
First of all, you have to remember that tubes need to be powered by a high voltage that is dangerous for human life.

Is it Ok?

There is a special thread here about safety when working with vacuum tubes. Did you read it carefully?

I work with high voltage all the time on tube amps so that is not a problem, I know all about high voltage safety.

Let the fun begin!

Sal

Ok. 222.7 is VOLTAGE, not CURRENT.
It is an effective voltage while an amplitude is 1.42 times higher.

What maximum power dissipation you may allow for your output tube?
George (tubelab.com) have plenty of them so he tortures tubes to see if they are alive on certain power; if you have only few of them you probably have to trust the manufacturer that specifies the max power, right?
So, how much are you going to dissipate?

Richard Ellis said:
I would have to look up some Mosfet ratings......These "sand blocks"...I have few. No Mosfets here.
____________________________________Rick........

The idea was, to get a SE sound from a PP transformer. It will be even better than SE because the transformer needs to be smaller, with less of iron and copper (both are expensive in South America and in China, right?), so capacitance between windings will be smaller, the same about stray inductance. You'll get a sound from a PP amp similar to a sound from SE amp that is not practically possible if to use an "inside of the box" approach. My approach is to go out of the box and look from outside.

You'll need also an opamp to drive a FET. do you have some?

Ok, do you have a BJT from an old TV?

MOSFET is what come to my mind because of availability.

Do you have a BJT that was used for horizontal deflection in an old TV?
They usually survive high enough voltage that is needed for vacuum tubes.

PN junctions on high voltages (ANY PN JUNCTIONS!) work like Zener diodes: from some point they start conducting. It means, a transistor is a transistor until you supply it with a certain voltage, after that it is a Zener diode!!!!

Back in 1970'th I used to select transistors for my custom amps from devices that were rated for 25V when I need more than 100 Volts.

Do you have an idea how to measure your transistors?

Gentlemen;
if you have any questions please ask.
I am aware that nobody knows analog electronics like me it is not a shame because I myself don't know everything, and the more I know the more I understand how much don't I know; so please don't hesitate and ask. If both of us don't understand I'll learn together with you continuing the discussion. We'll gain both.

Gentlemen,

This looks like fun! Can I just use rubber gloves rather than using one hand with the other behind my back (fingers crossed of course)?

I like the idea of a Russian-American DIY Tube amp over a Chinese one!

We covet a lot of electronic components from Russia anyway and quite a few of their tubes! So this is a worthy undertaking and I hope to learn too!

Thanks guys!

Regards//Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.