• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Chinese new 845

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I am just so glad the quality of the Chinese tubes are improving from day to day.

In some respects some Russian tubes are better by design than the Euro/USA counterparts.

Unfortunately the emphasis of expertise was often directed towards what was important to the military....

Another factor that hasn't really helped, even though that wass the marketing target, is the fact that these tubes (mainly the USSR ones) were often misrepresented as equivalents of existing European and American tubes.
Something they rarely ever are....

Sooner or later, I believe the Chinese and Russian tube factories could produce tubes superior than the NOS.

Technically that wouldn't be a problem....
Question is, would the market support the higher asking price resulting from this?

Cheers, ;)

Sooner or later, I believe the Chinese and Russian tube factories could produce tubes superior than the NOS.

That will be the day....sofar ..No.........I get through alot of tubes in the MI repair business....the current made Far Eastern clones are basically short life rubbish and my district recycling bank has alot of them...(and I have to fill in forms to the rare metals used).
When it comes to age expectancy. ....I'm using orig yesteryears Philips/GEC tubes more than 25 yrs old in regular service and still hold good emission.........surely that must be testament to how they were put together, proper circuit application design and the materials used. There are so many clone copies about that don't deserve the orig brand mark put on them....I don't bother purchasing chinese made tubes anymore.

rich

For any of you who may be interested, the metal anode version of the Chinese 845 is now available and a very pretty picture can be seen here. No affiliation etc...

On the quality of Chinese valves - for new DIY stuff there are so many less popular and unwanted NOS types out there which can do a very good job, so there isn't any real need to buy new production types which may or may not be flaky (well, for me anyway :))

fdegrove said:
Hi,

In some respects some Russian tubes are better by design than the Euro/USA counterparts.

Unfortunately the emphasis of expertise was often directed towards what was important to the military....

Another factor that hasn't really helped, even though that wass the marketing target, is the fact that these tubes (mainly the USSR ones) were often misrepresented as equivalents of existing European and American tubes.
Something they rarely ever are....

Cheers, ;)

....and the biggest misinterpretations about Russian tubes (or every other electronic parts in this regard) are spread around the internet about so called "military version" or "built for military" or "OTK" imprint.
In fact all the electronic factories in the USSR were basicaly military factories and most of their production that was up to the GOST or OST specification went to military purposes. The production of inferior quality went to produce the consumer electronics and the crappiest production for spare parts. The OTK sign (department of technical examination) was imprinted on every single good in every single factory – starting from brooms and buckets and radios and TV sets. :cool:

Just to clarify - OTK means quality control mark and all Russian tubes have it, not only the military versions. Military (or long lasting rugged versions) are marked -EB/-E/-B after the abbreviation.

Yes, argo mentioned that :)

Actually the old Russian tubes (before mid 70s) are very good ones both sonically and mechanically, not worse than any high quality European or US brand. The Russian 6SN7 (6H8C) made in the 50s is one of the finest sounding SN tube in the world.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.