Chilli Chang review/mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Antripodean said:
Great to see all the builds on your site Phil

I am embarking on a full range horn with the Sonido SFR-178 and was wondering if you knew of these and whether they would go in a Chilli Chang?

Still in the planning stage so any advice is welcomed

Thanks ... nope I'm not familiar with the Sonido how does it's spec compare with the 167. Dave or Scott would be better qualified to give you the nod on this!

Today I glued in the damping. I did the top, back and one side of the chamber plus one side of the brace.

Sorry for the bad pics, the winter light does not help indoors...

Attachments

• dsc00629_2.jpg
    dsc00629_2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 864
JC951t said:
Hi Jeoreon,
Did you just tag the felt along the edges with some
tags along the center of the felt ?

I followed the hot glue gun advise. Some dots of glue in a pattern on the felt, holds like a charm.

Burnt my hand a bit in the process. :rolleyes:

I just closed on of the boxes, next one tomorrow, hope to listen to them on Sunday. Pics will follow.

Jeroen

Jim Shearer said:
Jeroen,

After burning myself, I learned to wear latex gloves when using hot melt glue. ;) If I get some on me, it does much less damage, and I can get it off me in just a moment.

Cheers, Jim

Good tip about the gloves. I have diy/gardening gloves that I will wear next time. (probably will burn my hand again before I remember...)

Both cabinets are now sealed and playing. First impression : they realy look cool!!! :cool:

Sound : I can only compare them to my single driver FE103s Doppenberg pipes and have no trained hifi ears.... The Chili's go a lot deeper but are a bit dull. There seems to be "more music" but it lacks some sort of presence... They miss the magic that the FE103s pipes have. I bought the drivers on marktplaats (dutch ebay) and the seller claimed they were only used for testing and as the units looked absolutely new my guess is that they still need to "burn in". I will use them for a few weeks and see if the sound changes before I do any mods. I remember the FE103s also taking some time.

Scott, thank you for the design!!

Jeroen

Attachments

• dsc00638_2.jpg
    dsc00638_2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,355
greenie512 said:
Jeroen, I'd suggest trying some outriggers/spikes and secondly remove a bit of internal dampening at a time - even remove the lot to see if this helps - you can always re-fix it (might be a bit fiddly)

Thanks.

I am sanding the cabinets now and depending on price have them sprayed. After that I will place them on a three spikes/cones, two in the front, one on the back, on small beams that stick out a bit. In the meantime I will EnAble and planet10-cone the drivers.

When all irreversible tasks are done and total playing time is nearing 200 hrs then I will start fiddling with the damping. I'm afraid that sound will change anyway when spraying/EnAbleing etc... Adjusting this damping is indeed fiddly so wanna do that job only once.

Jeroen

chylld said:
JeroenR, any new updates? am following your build with keen anticipation :)

The last period in The Netherlands was very cold... so no sanding outside. The positive thing about the cold was that we could skate again. :)

I did progress a bit with the enabl of the FE167. See the fe167 enabl thread.

During the week it is work, work, work I'm afraid. Perhaps this weekend I can finish the enabl. Sanding and painting could take a few weekends though.

As soon as I have anything to show I will post here.

Jeroen

Alex from Oz said:
G'day Jeroen,

I've been following your FE167 EnABL thread.

How about cabinet EnABL?

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Looks interesting. Does it work?

Not sure I will do that though, the enabl of the drivers is a funny project but where does it end if you start with the cabinet... In one of the threads someone mentioned that the next step would to enabl the room. :)

Next someone will enabl her/his earsdrums...

No, I'm not making fun of enabl. But when he cabinets are done I will first start enjoying them.

There is a big chance though that I will try it when you tell me from experience (and pref measurements) that it works.

Thanks,

Jeroen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.