cheapish, freeish, fastish: pick 3?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok so basically i've been migrating from the tube section of this forum to the speaker section. now that i've got that amp situation under control, im trying to actually listen to it through something! i've read a great deal and i get the concepts, but now im just looking to glean from some helpful soul that which you cannot fake: personal experience.

my goal:

build a pair of the most efficient, cheap, and decent sounding speakers i can with what basically amounts to minimum intellectual, financial, and temporal investments. they dont have to sound AMAZING, and im willing to sacrifice a little bit of perfection for compact size and efficiency, considering they're going to be partying with my 3wpc pp tube amp - which expects a 4-8ohm load.

ideally the enclosures will fit on my desk without annoying me (think NS-10 size). i'm VERY interested in theory and design and eventually would LOVE to have the time to design my own system from scratch and know all the intimate mathematical details of how it works... but for now im just itching to listen to my amp through something decent, yet i can't shake the DIY bug completely. it doesnt have to be a single full range driver, although simplicity is good. any suggestions? remember: price is weighted slightly more heavily than performance.

Until you said fit on your desk I was going to suggest that you see planet10 Dave for some vintage full range drivers and put them on open baffles. You still might want to talk to Dave though and see what he has for small boxes. The old AlNiCo FR drivers are often a perfect fit for tubes. Also keep your eyes open for old console stereos at the thrift shops. Some nice old (nearly free) drivers show up that way from time to time.

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.