Cheap way of making SS sound like a tube amp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmmmm...

These hybrids sound interesting. The problem for me is that I'm young and restless - putting valves into the mix would mean lots of money spent replacing valves.Chris

Its usually output valves that dont last very long due to the high current.

Hybrids use a valve front end which doesnt use much current and so can last for a few years under normal use. You can pick up a 12AX7 for less than £10.

Believe it or not a Simple Tube preamp is pretty easy to implement and not expensive and probably easier than trying to make SS sound like authentic tube ....
Might even be able to be powered by voltages allready in your amp , at its very most basic you just need a Tube ($10) and a few caps and resistors and a tube socket ......

Cheers

Now, that does look fun to try.
I shall listen later (eveyone else is still in bed...), but it's definitely going in my bookmarks.

Here's some improved designs
ValveLiTzer Redux
ValveLiTzer Trifecta

I looked up those tubes (12FQ8). Apparently there's about 20 or so of them in an organ and they go in large lots on eBay for really cheap. Then again 12AX7s are a dime a dozen too which are better suited for the job.

I was wondering last night if these tubes were any good for OTL designs? Usually people parallel the tubes to get a lower impedance. 12FQ8s are a dual triode with dual plates (4 plates total). I wonder if you bought a set of 20 or so and paralleled them if they would be as good a tube for the task as what they usually use (I've heard 6SN7s are often used in OTL amps).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.