Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it

Using "open" amplifiers has cost the lives of woofers in the past.

J-P, could you please explain this a bit? Do you mean that by running the amp at full voltage without an audio input signal? If so, how can this damage the woofers? If I engage the mute before turning on the amp, why is there a problem, as long as I ramp up the audio signal (coming from phone or streaming device) after unmuting the active amp?

Maybe I missed something in this thread, or a general audio issue. God knows I've read it all the way through, some parts more than once, and don't recall any info about this.

Hello

I have a serious problem with my blue modules. At 10pcs, two of them have already died with the same symptom. The symptom is the lack of sound after switching power on and latching dc voltage on output, its doing pop on and off all again.

The modules normally worked connected to the computer (audio signal), with one piece at a certain moment I unplugged the plug with the signal and then it fell. on the second play, after turning on the power, it fell.

The same happened with module 2.1 on 2xTPA3116.

Does anyone know what's going on? had someone like that?

I checked all components, all good.

I fried my first two by not using mute on the board. Also, I don’t think they like being powered on with our being connected to speakers. Other than that?
Operating class D chips without a load, even for just a short moment, can destroy the output stage. The filter inductors can generate nasty voltage spikes and most class D implementations do not use catch diodes.

One question about mute. One relay or one switch can be shared to mute multiple boards?

Yes, you "mute" with a high level and activate with a low level (pin 12). If all the boards are supplied from the same power supply, you use individual pull-up resistors for each TPA3116 chip and put a 1N4148 diode from each of the mute inputs to the same switch terminal that is grounded when "ON". Anode to mute input, cathode to switch terminal. This way you avoid the TPA3116 chips to be influenced by one-another.

Last edited:
Yes, you "mute" with a high level and activate with a low level (pin 12). If all the boards are supplied from the same power supply, you use individual pull-up resistors for each TPA3116 chip and put a 1N4148 diode from each of the mute inputs to the same switch terminal that is grounded when "ON". Anode to mute input, cathode to switch terminal. This way you avoid the TPA3116 chips to be influenced by one-another.

Isn't that the same effect as simply using a double pole, double throw (could also be single throw) switch? I have my amp, with 2 TPA3118D2's and single power supply built with a single DPDT switch. Both amp boards are connected to same switch, one for each set of poles. This keep the amps completely separated, but activates the mute on both amps with a single flip of the switch. No other components are necessary on the Sanwu '3118 boards, which has access points (solder pads/holes) on the PCB. Maybe the '3116 is different, but this is a '3118 thread.

The result will be the same with a DPDT switch if there are only two amplifier boards. You wrote "multiple boards" so I just wanted you to know that even with three or more boards you can use an SPST switch.

No problem FF, but your response is to plasnu ("multiple amp boards") :) He will need a SPST switch for each board, if he uses no other add-on components, correct?

You are right, it is for plasnu.
If all boards are supplied from the same power supply (actually, if all share a common GND), a single SPST switch is sufficient with a diodes and pull-up resistor for each amplifier. Then, all are muted at the same time.
Else, one SPST switch for each board and individual muting.