cheap subwoofer for small room - rec?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The next project I want to do is an inexpensive subwoofer for a small to medium size room. It does not need to play extremely loud. The box can be up to about 1 cu ft.

I'm looking at an Apex Jr 8" with a 6 to 8" long 2" diameter port and a 100 watt plate amp.

Any recommendations?

Parts Express provides suggested box sizes for most of their Dayton drivers. I followed their box recommendation with their DVC 8" woofer. I used their $100 300-792 plate amp. This combination provides a little extra output at 35hz, but when I find time I'll change the resistors to fix that. Since most of the music I listen to doesn't have much content that low, and the extra output for movies is pretty nice, I seem to never get around to changing it...

If you're looking for an inexpensive sub project that sounds great, this is a great place to start.

Jim85IROC said:
Parts Express provides suggested box sizes for most of their Dayton drivers. I followed their box recommendation with their DVC 8" woofer. I used their $100 300-792 plate amp. This combination provides a little extra output at 35hz, but when I find time I'll change the resistors to fix that. Since most of the music I listen to doesn't have much content that low, and the extra output for movies is pretty nice, I seem to never get around to changing it...

If you're looking for an inexpensive sub project that sounds great, this is a great place to start.

Cool. The price is sure right. In fact, it makes me think something must be wrong with the thing. Hmmm.

Where do you find the recommended enclosure specs?

Thanks.

I haven't heard one but the TangBand W8-740C is $32.50 from...
http://www.nuera-acoustic.ca/products.html

The only apperent downside is efficiency of 84dB/W. Xmax is quoted as 12mm but I suspect that is peak-to-peak, not one way. Still higher than the ApexJr's 4.9mm though.

I've had very good sucess with a Peerless 831858 8" dual VC driver I got from Madisound for $27.50 as a close out special (no longer listed so I guess they've sold out). Power is quoted at 200W (100W per VC) and Xmax is very respectable at 7mm. I use it in 1 cu ft sealed and a bit of Linkwitz transform boost really helps the low end. This limits the maximum SPL but it plays nice and low at sensible volume levels with out distorting noticibly.

Nice one,
David.

Take a look at www.rawacoustics.ca. They have an 8" sub kit using a Tang Band driver and 100 watt plate amp. It's available as a kit or assembled, finished or un-finished. You can also get it ported or with a passive radiator. I have this sub, with the passive radiator and use it for home theater. It works great in my room which is 12 x 20. I'm very happy with it.

MikeR said:
Take a look at www.rawacoustics.ca. They have an 8" sub kit using a Tang Band driver and 100 watt plate amp. It's available as a kit or assembled, finished or un-finished. You can also get it ported or with a passive radiator. I have this sub, with the passive radiator and use it for home theater. It works great in my room which is 12 x 20. I'm very happy with it.

Thanks much for the suggestion. I am checking it out.

Nit: This BB software includes the period after the URL when you click. The browser tries to go to the faulty URL, then the name-server highjacks the attempt and puts up an ad. I'm getting a "server error" message even with the correct URL. Hmmm. Click this: www.rawacoustics.ca

Now then... Do you happen to know the answers to these questions?

1) What's the internal volume of the enclosure?
2) What frequency is the box tuned to?
3) What is the Q of the bass boost on the amp?

... and I thin que.

daatkins said:
I haven't heard one but the TangBand W8-740C is $32.50 from...
http://www.nuera-acoustic.ca/products.html

The only apperent downside is efficiency of 84dB/W. Xmax is quoted as 12mm but I suspect that is peak-to-peak, not one way. Still higher than the ApexJr's 4.9mm though.

I am 99.9% sure it is one way. Pretty impressive eh?

I would definitely port the 8" subwoofer. 1 cubic foot is plenty of space for the necessary volume and port displacement. The added output is worth it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.