Cheap source/step'd-attenuator switches:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apologies Frank;

It's late (insomnia strikes again...), I'm tired, and mistakes are the result. Yep, I meant to type "Greg" but I'd just read your post so.....

Thanks for being understanding!

Anyway, yeah the sonics on the silver contact jobs are really decent - I'd been assured that they'd be no good as source switchers at another forum, but when I tried it, there was no crosstalk, no "pop", no troubles at all. Except that I only have a couple of 'em left and new ones are getting expensive!

All the best!
Morse

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I'd been assured that they'd be no good as source switchers at another forum, but when I tried it, there was no crosstalk, no "pop", no troubles at all.

I had no problems using them that way either...Being a dual mono fan I normally use one per channel which obviously circumvents any chance of crosstalk.
This also allows me to put both contacts in // which in turn lowers contact resistance by a factor of 2.

Except that I only have a couple of 'em left and new ones are getting expensive!

I bought mine from RS Components UK, I can't recall what I paid for them as it's many years ago already...
Nothing much in electronics is becoming any cheaper, is it?

Thanks for being understanding!

No worries.:)

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank;

Hmmm, dual mono? I like the idea, but space and money have kept me in the "integrated miniamp" school of design for some time. OT, do you use long IC's and short speaker wires, or the reverse?

>>>...Nothing much in electronics is becoming any cheaper, is it?...<<<

You got that right. These days I'm just trying to plug the gaps in my parts bins and stock up on cheap (though serviceable) components for experimentation and repairs. BG's, Lowthers, and Rikens are WAY outside my price range now.....which is one reason for my emphasis on "cheap but good."

All the best!
Morse

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I like the idea, but space and money have kept me in the "integrated miniamp" school of design for some time.

Within that school of design there's still room for dual mono. Granted it will always tend to up the total cost.
However, if you stick to the single box concept, yet implement dual mono on the inside, there's quite alot to be gained by keeping interstage and interchannel interference out of the design.
It sure does wonders to lower IMD and that, in turn, pays dividends in the stereo image rendition, providing a deeper, wider, larger, and better focused image.

OT, do you use long IC's and short speaker wires, or the reverse?

As I use true dual mono blocks (2 separate boxes) for the amplifiers I can put them closer to the speakers but the LS cable still ends up about twice as long as the ICs.
Since speaker cables are working at much higher current levels and into low impedance, I think this is the better way.
ICs of say, longer than 6 ft aren't always easily driven without audible losses.

which is one reason for my emphasis on "cheap but good

A well thought out design should sound good already with well chosen of the shelf components.
I was fortunate enough to be able to listen to many so called high end gear and I can assure you that many are, despite exotic components, intrisically flawed or idiosyncratic designs.

In short, I feel that diyaudio can achieve comparable levels to high end, the better part of the scale, that is.
No frighteningly expensive marketing to pay for, you do your own R&D and so on...You get the picture.:)

Cheers,;)

Those guys are selling assembled attenuators for $50. If you could somehow persuede them to sell bare switches, I guess they would be pretty cheap. Shipping is also only $6. I tried few times to inquire about prices on those switches, but for some they never replied. I got some of those attenuators and both the built and feel is not bad.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=270733#post270733

Hi Frank;

>>>...Within that school of design there's still room for dual mono. Granted it will always tend to up the total cost.
However, if you stick to the single box concept, yet implement dual mono on the inside, there's quite alot to be gained by keeping interstage and interchannel interference out of the design..<<<

Hmmm, maybe I'll give that a try on my next medium $$ project. Right now I'm tooling up to do the build on the DormAmp MKII; that will address all the issues I had to solve the first time out and leave an easier layout for a newbie to build (sort of the idea on that one) - the concept is an amp that any college kid with a soldering iron can put together, that will power 88+ dB SPL fullrange speakers to adequate volume, be stable into low z and or high reactance loading, sound good, have a headphone jack, cost <$50USD all up, and fit in a 6"x6" chassis. Oh yes, and all parts had to be found at Radio Shack, PE or Digikey (i.e. easy to find). The MKI works fine but is a bear to do mods or repairs on....

>>>...As I use true dual mono blocks (2 separate boxes) for the amplifiers I can put them closer to the speakers but the LS cable still ends up about twice as long as the ICs...<<<

Thanks for the details on your LS cabling/IC schema.

>>>...I was fortunate enough to be able to listen to many so called high end gear and I can assure you that many are, despite exotic components, intrisically flawed or idiosyncratic designs...<<<

I've not had as much opportunity to sample the stratosphere of high end audio, but last December in Japan I spent a little time in a high end showroom where the cheapest amp was $4,000USD (mostly high end European and US kit). Full agreement with your position on this - that high end kit had grainy midrange, treble that would take paint off the walls, and no discernable ability to image. OTOH the bass was exceptional, as was the appearance. It made me feel much better about my "cheap but good" philosophy.

>>>...In short, I feel that diyaudio can achieve comparable levels to high end, the better part of the scale, that is. No frighteningly expensive marketing to pay for, you do your own R&D and so on...You get the picture...<<<

Yep. I've heard many people over the years claim that high end audio is just a way for people to show off their $$. Not here; I enjoy my music and am always looking for better low dollar performance. Still love my valve kit and am looking forward to having the $$ to build more one of these days, but chipamps are providing a lot of fun on tight funds.

Thanks again for the info and all the best,
Morse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.