• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cheap and Easy Tube Phono Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Can I use a B+ of 200V on the RCA phono circuit? If not, can I change any of the resistors to so that I can use it for the 200V B+ I have?

Not Dave but...
Changing the B+ to 200VDC iso 250VDC would require a total redesign of the phonostage; not just the load and bias resistors would have to be changed but the entire RIAA correction circuit as well.
There's absolutely nothing to be gained by doing so IMHO.

Cheers,;)

While I agree with Frank,...if I had to choose, I''d let your B+ fall where it may. Changing your load resistor to meet your B+ requirement will totally screw your riaa network. Letting your B+ fall where it may would only effect your tube's linearity.

I'd rather have a linear riaa, with some distortion, than a distorted riaa being cleanly reproduced.

Does that make sense?:xeye:

Yes! http://www.turneraudio.com.au has some fabulous passive RIAA circuits. They sound great and would use them in a standalone box in a minute.

My decision was based on personal preference. I built both side by each on a breadboard and did listening comparisons. I liked the active version for its mellow sound and at the time I built it (for transferring my vynil to PC), it could drive the soundcard input directly without buffering. NFB by nature reduces the output impedance to much lower levels making them less immune to loads.

Hi,

Just curious, in the circuit from Dave (RCA phono), only the 15K is 1W. I am wondering what could be the wattage of the remaining resistors?

Thanks!

Attachments

• chris_phono.gif
    chris_phono.gif
    9 KB · Views: 920
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I'll follow your advice then, will be buying parts today so your post is in perfect timing.

In case you can't find all the reistors in 1W form: all the others can be 1/2W. (Plate and cathode, gridleak can be 1/4W)

Make sure to match the resistors L+R channel for the RIAA curve, best to order 1% values if possible.

If you want to implement the fourth time constant of the RIAA correction get yourself a pair of 953R and 12R1 1/4W 1% resistors.

Cheers,;)

Attachments

• chris_riaa.gif
    chris_riaa.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 854
fdegrove said:
Hi,

In case you can't find all the reistors in 1W form: all the others can be 1/2W. (Plate and cathode, gridleak can be 1/4W)

Make sure to match the resistors L+R channel for the RIAA curve, best to order 1% values if possible.

If you want to implement the fourth time constant of the RIAA correction get yourself a pair of 953R and 12R1 1/4W 1% resistors.

Cheers,;)

Fortunately I found all the resistors. Since they came cheap I bought 20 pcs per value so I can match them.

Doesn't the original RIAA have a 50KHz rolloff? If it would improve the sound then I'll include it since It's pretty easy to implement. But must it be 953R and 12.1R exactly?

Thanks Frank!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

That's as close as I could get to the calculated value, 963R IIRC.

Should have read 965R. Typo.

BTW, regarding PCBs, it's really worth a try to make two identical preamps except for one with PCB, the other P2P and compare the two.
You're in for a big surprise I promise.

Since you're two persons building, why not do one each?

I'll probably use a single 1K resistor for the RIAA correction, I have a lot of 1K resistors and so can be matched.

Afterwards you can combine different values to arrive at the calculated value of 965R, I just picked the easiest two at the time out of the E96 table.

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.