Cheap 10inch woofer in tapped horn? what would you do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you have 16 drivers, at 330cm sq, then your total cone area is 5280 cm sq, assuming the subs have ten mm linear excursion, then you will have a displacement of around 10 liters.

I have twelve inch drivers in my set up with a total displacement of around 17.8 liters, i don't need that much input power because of the cone area, around 1.2Kw total.

I don't get more then around 133db from my set up, my room is not that big, about 1900 cubic feet sealed, I do not think it is possible to get that spl from your subs.

As another poster said, that kind of spl is very bad for your hearing, i have slight ringing in my ears at night some times after watching a movie at high levels, trust me its extremely annoying! so i have reduced to volume at which i expose myself to.

Why not just use winISD to model a ported box, build four of them, each with 4 subs in, and put one in each corner, you will have more then enough SPL.

Finally the "hair tricks" your talking about are normally done with maybe 6 fifteens or four 18"s, from what i have seen, thats 30-40 liter of displacement being funneled out a car window, i don't think you achieve that at home.

Anyway, i look forward to your build, what ever enclosure you choose.:)

Well, first of all, i do not/ did not claim to have a problem, i am very happy with my system, i get a near flat frequency response all the way down to 10Hz in my room and can do reference level from around 15Hz upwards with very little distortion.

Efficiency is all relative, are my subs more efficient then a sealed aliment, yes, are they more efficient then a horn, no. I do not have the skill or knowledge to build horn subs or use horn response, so i went with ported, if some one wants to model a horn with a couple of JBL-GT5 12"s of a volume of around 400lt gross that would be interesting to compare to my design.

I doubt that two twelves, would be louder in any enclosure to be honest, but if they were, great!, I'm not overly concerned over max Spl, extremely loud spl is good for showing off, but for day to day its pointless and causes hearing damage, my system is 90% for movies/games and as long as i can do reference levels with out distortion i'm a happy camper!:D

* Vas: 26.903
* Impedance: 4 ohm
* Qms (Mechanical Factor): 3.312
* Qes (Electrical Factor): 0.478
* Qts (Total Q-Factor): 0.418
* Fs (Resonance): 45Hz

measured specs of a brand new, straight out of the box driver are as follows:

vas: 33 litres
RE: 4.38 ohms
qms: 4.179
qes: 0.622
qts: 0.541
fs: 44Hz

in other words, the published specs are probably off the shelf measurements with no break in period, with obvious variation between woofers :p

What did you measure the woofers with? it wasn't the dayton woofer tester by any chance? I've be looking to get one, but in Europe they seem to cost around 160 euro which seems pretty steep.

1500Lt! you would want that on casters.

it was.

$US99 plus $US30 postage to australia, with a set of scales included that I'm not sure of the accuracy of anyway :p

not sure how accurate the WT3 is either.

mine wouldn't calibrate the leads properly at first, saying the resistance was over 1 ohm.

sometimes when I play the test sweep, its a lot quiter, and it doesn't plot a proper impedance graph, and it also doesn't give any results, except RE, or LE, and the figures will be stupidly high.

you also have to measure the piston diameter (to calculate the VAS), which according to people is from the peaks of the surround across the cone, which makes sense... but vary this figure by half an inch, and the VAS changes massively.

so, I don't know...

going to try the woofers out in a car, in a weird 1/4 wave box which was designed to load in the car to extend the frequency response.

if it fails, I'll just seal the box.

still need to cut 4 more holes, then glue and screw the top, and drill all the woofer mounting holes. I had to test fit the box before I permanently attached the top, you have to hammer the box in to get it to fit :p

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

there are no more pics.

its going to be used in a car, which is why the woofers had to be overlapped, as I had a 990mm maximum width ;)

I really have no idea how it'll work, the box was designed in hornresp, but it was also designed to extend the frequency response once in the car.

I'm aiming to get the install done by the 2nd April, when there's a car show/sound off competition.

the box as designed to be light, can easily be moved by two people, without the woofers that is.

most likely it will have all kinds of horrible resonances, but thats half the fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.