Chassis for Sachiko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
francorovereto said:
They offer me a combination of poplar plywood (for side/ rear panels) and russian birch ply (for small internal panels) for a reasonable prize... better than mdf, isn't?

With poplar could return on the Sachiko project...but I'm not sure it will sound so good. Maybe over-bracing the panels would be an option?

We have used the russian ply interchangably with BB. The poplat ply is probably pretty good too... as Scott mentions one has to worry a bit about voids -- but i'd rather use ply with a few voids than MDF.

Extra bracing never hurts -- in sachiko that means an end-on vertical brace on the back and a horizontal onr in the mouths -- just make sure they are off-centre.

dave

This 15/16" multilam from China worked pretty well. It is a poplar core with maple veneer. Low void count. Unfortunately it was purchased from a dark and seedy industrial park and I don't know where to get it now or I would pick up more.

Attachments

• img_4660.jpg
    img_4660.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 417
hi,

the context for the horn width of 45 cm was that they don't need any electrical tuning (especialliy in the midrange). A test of the AN8 in a acousta cabinet (lowther) would be the best result (that wrote a german hifi-diy-magazine -> I hadn't read this article, I only read this in the other forum).

So, and here both sachikos :cool:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Greetings Armin

gychang said:

Bob, what is the acoustic material lining the cement layer?, can I get it from Homedepot or Lowes?

gychang

The product is Armstrong #420 acoustic ceiling tile. It comes in 2'x4' panels with a white plastic sheet on one side. It is becoming hard to find. The same basic rigid Fiberglas is used in the HVAC trade to line air ducts. A local contractor might lead you to some.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.