Chasis + GC complete. First listening tests...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finished the premium components amplifier today but left the pot out. DC on one of the channels is 120mV without a resistor on the input, and down to about 70mV with ~14k on the input.

What makes the DC offset on one channel different to the other when all components are the same between channels?

The DC measurement is the same regardless of whether or not there is a load on the output. Am I measuring it correctly?

Vikash said:
Regarding the channel balance problem at low volume, the pot is the culprit. I took some more measurements and the channels seem balanced to within 3% except for at very low levels where it is hugely innacurate. Simply a faulty pot, but otherwise 3% is better than I was expecting (it's rated 10%).
--snip--

Not faulty. Normal.

Vikash said:
the closest resistor I have at the moment is 2k4r which if I add between the signal and ground pins on the board reduces the offset to 35.26mV and 12.5mV :D

In minimized GC circuit the offset depends on input resistance (from +IN to ground). In case of 22k feedback resistor, I wouldn't go for more than 22k input shunt value. In some case I was having as much as 300mV of offset with input resistance of 50K.

When you choose lower values of input resistance (less than 22k), the offset value will go lower as well. On some chips it crosses 0 V reading and goes into positive (or negative ) offset voltage figure.

Vikash said:

Hi UrSv, 87% out is normal and not faulty when its rated at 10%? I've recieved a replacement from RS and will see if that is as far out...

IMHO, Yes. Desirable?. No. The first part where the pot starts using the resistive layer usually with certain pots will be way off right when it starts. As soon as you're just a tiny bit into the surface things get better.

UrSv said:

IMHO, Yes. Desirable?. No. The first part where the pot starts using the resistive layer usually with certain pots will be way off right when it starts. As soon as you're just a tiny bit into the surface things get better.
The replacement pot although better than the previous (error is only half now), is stilll way out as you said :up:

Peter, are you saying that its ok to leave the caddock 22k on the board and add another smaller resistor (perhaps 1k5r) between signal in and signal ground?

Attachments

• dsc01968.jpg
    dsc01968.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 299
Nuuk said:
Could you please elaborate Carlos? :confused:

Yes.
In NI, with the "standard" schematic, these chips produce more DC-offset.
It really depends on the input impedance (including the pot).
Don't forget, the pot is in parallel with the 22k resistor (from +IN to Ground).
DC will even change with the pot position. An op-amp as an input buffer would avoid this and you could tune input impedance for lower DC.
And, an unpredictable issue, there are no two equal chips.:bawling:
With higher values for Rf and Ri you could use higher values of input impedance.
To avoid high values of DC-offset, sometimes very different from channel to channel, you need to use the Ci caps (Look at Fig. 1 on the LM3875 datasheet).
Good electrolythics bypassed with quality poly 0.1uf caps will bring DC-offset to a couple of mv, without affecting the sound.

Vikash said:

The replacement pot although better than the previous (error is only half now), is stilll way out as you said :up:

Peter, are you saying that its ok to leave the caddock 22k on the board and add another smaller resistor (perhaps 1k5r) between signal in and signal ground?

And I've heard some comments before that linear pots have better matching;)

I would actually recommend leaving 22k Caddock (on the board) when adding smaller resistor. It should influence the sonics in more positive way. I noticed that having Caddock in shunt position somehow increases the impression of 3-dimentionality, much better than Vishay, for instance.

Peter Daniel said:

And I've heard some comments before that linear pots have better matching;)

I would actually recommend leaving 22k Caddock (on the board) when adding smaller resistor. It should influence the sonics in more positive way. I noticed that having Caddock in shunt position somehow increases the impression of 3-dimentionality, much better than Vishay, for instance.

True. It's thanks to the linear pot that he was only 87% off with the first one...

If the cost of a worthwhile switch alone wasn't about 150%-200% of a Potentiometer, I'm sure more people would be making Attenuators.

Personally with my first GC I will probably use a Pot, and then when I get better at understanding and building amps I will give it to a friend and build another one with a buffer, attenuator etc.

By that time I'd hope to have a dedicated pre and DAC anyways.

Someone could make ALOT of money if they started making switches at the quality of say Elma but at half the cost.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.