CFA Topology Audio Amplifiers

I would not make that conclusion without testing its assumption at a reasonable - sustained - high average output from a 100-200W PA.
Richard, correct engineering require your amp is able to output square waves at full level indefinitely. No way to undersize power feedback resistance under this point.
What i wanted to lighten is the margin you'll like to add for reasonable temp/distortion in this resistance. Musical Peaks are 12db more than average. (peak meters/vu-meters) and vu-meters are not 0dB all the time. Plus the X1.4 between square and sinus, it makes at least >X5 margin in normal use. Can be enough ? I believe yes, and add that, most of the time, we run our amps way under their max power.
And, if it is PA at full power, who care about hifi ?
Just a though.
In a ideal world, we'll like to size each resistance in the feedback bridge for they reach the same temp for the feedback ratio remain the same, whatever their temp behavior...

Last edited:
My response on the other thread may not have been clear, my vote is that you must return the feedback shunt current to the input lifted ground.

After reading about thermal distortion , having the FB "out on a wire" might
be best. I also could return it anywhere I like.

A couple of large resistors(below) "outboard" (with the cap). Lo-Z in CF
would allow this - unlike a VFA.
PS - we don't have to be cheap , like Pioneer.

OS

Attachments

• power-R.jpg
    power-R.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
...let's see how we can improve a CFA input stage. We know already that for lowest distortion RE = 0.5/gm = 0.5 VT / Ic or 13mV / I ...

Hi Edmond.
Nice to see a perceptive post on this topic, there has been little discussion of optimisation.
But the Oliver condition that 2*RE = 1/Gm was derived for minimum crossover distortion in class B+ circuits.
It is not obvious to me that it is still optimal in this case, what's your rationale?

Compliments of the season and
Best wishes
David