Center channel driver selection

Looking to make a center speaker to try out with movies. I have a few drivers available, some I'd rather use more than others. I'd love to utilize the tectonic tebm46 that I've had for years. I feel it's wide dispersion will be of value here.

I would like to use a wmtw configuration and was wondering what sensitivity would be ok for the woofers to work with the tebm46. My math is probably off but if I recall you gain about 3db from adding a second woofer? The tebm46 is 86db. Assuming baffle step loss of 6db, I should be safe with woofers around 88db and under. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it an option to go for a W-(BMR)-W configuration? Cross the BMR over low, and let it cover the rest off the spectrum less or more? This way, it covers everything starting from Midrange for that clean dialogue :cool: no funny XO anymore

I'm about to test a bit myself with the TEBM46 for my center speaker, but I would like the resulting speaker to be symmetrical. This will also be personal taste, but I dislike center speakers that are super tall. So I'll be combining it with one or two DSA135-8 and matching PR.

This all depends on how loud you plan on using this……if ‘normal/sane’ use of average peaks around 90db, then a 2 way will be fine using the Tectonic as a mid tweeter with a pair of 5” woofers will work

Any louder than that though, I’d continue as you’ve intended as a 3 way. But be advised, a diy 3way is no small feat to get right. If you do go three way, consider a very robust tweeter and do an all first order crossover.

Is it an option to go for a W-(BMR)-W configuration? Cross the BMR over low, and let it cover the rest off the spectrum less or more? This way, it covers everything starting from Midrange for that clean dialogue :cool: no funny XO anymore

I'm about to test a bit myself with the TEBM46 for my center speaker, but I would like the resulting speaker to be symmetrical. This will also be personal taste, but I dislike center speakers that are super tall. So I'll be combining it with one or two DSA135-8 and matching PR.

I have two of those I considered using. I also have two peerless woofers rated at the same sensitivity.
So would it be safe to assume by adding a second woofer, one effectively ignores the baffle step loss? I wager there is more to it though, but it seems safe to take two 87db woofers, lose 6db to baffle loss, gain 6db from adding a second and end up back at 87db? I believe the philharmonitor bmr woofer is 88db.
I did consider keeping it simple and just having the BMR cover everything above whatever the woofers are doing, but the driver doesn't render the top end well IMO. I have an assortment of tweeters that would do a better job there and maintain close proximity to the mid. My current plan is to use the two peerless 6.5" woofers, tebm46, and a dayton td20f.

I'm also planning a BMR center channel monkey coffin. I will have Philharmonic HT towers and this little guy should fit into set-up. The drivers are:

Woofers: FaitalPro 5FE100 5" 8 Ohm
Mid: Tectronic TEBM46C20N-4B (4 Ohm)
Tweet: Tympany BC25SC55-04

I plan to build a four channel class D amplifier using a miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP for the EQ and crossover. I considered passive and active (opamp) options, but decided, what the hell - go the easy way!
BMR-concept-layout.jpg
BMR-concept-layout.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
One important thing - the C should have similar xo type as main L/R speakers! Do you remember what happens when stereo L/R have different polarity and you send mono signal- imaging is lost totally and freq response varies because of wild interferences. Same happens when C has different xo to mains.

To have all front speakers share same phase shift /GD behaviour is very important to imaging. I haven't seen this mentioned often, but my experience tells that it is the most important thing! Layout and driver size/type are secondary even to similar response, but of course C must be capable of equal spl with low distortion.

In my HT LCR are exactly similar coaxial 2-ways and imaging is best I've heard anywhere, including Genelec factory demo room which equals mine.

Last edited:
A pair of Dayton RS100-4 in series are a perfect match for the TEBM46 for center channel use. I attempted this as WMW, but as the OP found, the TEBM46 just doesn't have well-behaved treble. So I abandoned the project which was a bummer because I was working with someone on it. One note about my usage, I assumed the bar would be placed directly above or below a TV, and so I designed both a typical freeair version, and one where I placed a piece of cardboard the size of 55" TV below the speaker when measuring it. The latter obviously needed little baffle step correction, and it sounded right in listening compared to full BSC would sounds chesty.

20170525_174201.jpg