CEC TL51X CD Transport

Ah, the dreaded CEC's. I do repairs, so every once and a while a CEC drops in. Most reading errors are indeed because of worn out belts, dried lubricants and the occasional laser. Replacement will fix the problems mostly.
Remember that the way to get the whole thing adjusted you need a service cd, need to short circuit some solder pads/wire links, a multimeter, a filtering circuit (r/c integrator) and a scope.
If you run into problems, these things can be nasty. 2 customers had modified the player and even contacting Japan directly couldn't fix the problem.
Just be carefull with these things, as just replacing caps here and there might make the whole thing unstable.

replaced laser power control Q101 with a higher power, higher current capable transistor 2SB1041 pin compattible.
replace also the emitter resistor R101, which should handle around 50mA current, with a 1/2watt resistor. (can you see the difference?!)

I don't expect this replacement would provide any benefit to the sound, but definitely this could relieve the stress on these tiny components, and make them live longer.

later I will replace the spindle motor. Have to figure out how to remove the bronze pulley, I don't think I will heat the pulley but would probably putting in the freezer for at least 24 hours.

may be I will buy another pickup SF-P101N, just in case.. who knows...

Attachments

• P_20201121_153844.jpg
    P_20201121_153844.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 192
  • P_20201121_153919.jpg
    P_20201121_153919.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 318
  • P_20201121_191933.jpg
    P_20201121_191933.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 220
Hi. Got a TL51X for repair. Somebody did partial SMD recap and full PSU recap. Some caps pulled, tested-they are OK. I had to repair the mechanism because the turntable bearing was in desperate state. Motor also got lubed. Now everything is smooth and tight, however there is an issue. CD quickly identifies, and plays througout its entire lenght. However as outer tracks are playing, TT motor starts wobbling, getting even worse on outest track. The eye pattern voltage is 1,8 V, jitter is super low. Motor is tested, runs very smooth down to even 0,4 V, no dead spot and all commutators show 10,0 ohm resistance in between them. This whole thing looks like a control loop issue: Eye pattern shows the signal is streching a bit, TT motor gets higher voltage, keeps up, eye pattern shortens then control lowers motor voltage. The phenomenon is visible well on the belt, as the belt is dancing like a star. I have tried with more tight belts, that helps to a degree, but not entirely. I have no idea about original dimension, so tried 55, 52 and 48 mm belts. The 48 mm looks very tight, I don't think that is healthy for bearings, 52 seems to be the fit, but wobbles a lot. If I apply some braking on the spindle motor, control loop stabilises and eye pattern gets stable. I would say this is mechanical, maybe a side effect of such thing that belt driven transport, but maybe a time constant somewhere is off or wrongly chosen. Did anybody else experienced similar behaviour or have exact dimension for belt?