***CDs Now Playing - Part II***

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A bit off topic but...

Bill, would you mind sharing some info about your Saxophone Colossus disk? I'm listening to the track "Moritat" on mine and the saxophone sounds very distorted. I got my copy in the dark ages of CD, around 1985. My disk has the liner notes in Japanese (like many of the early jazz CDs), and says "Manufactured by Victor Musical Industries, Inc., Tokyo, Japan 1985". It also says "Prestige VDJ-1501". Any identifying info on yours that might shed some light on when the analog was converted to digital (the later the better I assume)?

Thanks.

Group: John Coltrane et al
Album: The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings
Genre: Jazz
Sound Quality: Very good
Performance: Excellent

If you're familiar with another live Coltrane recording from a similar time frame, Live At Birdland, you'll know that the sound quality of that disk is rather poor. I'm happy to say the sound quality of the 1961 Village Vanguard recordings is way, way better. I honestly don't know why they didn't release some of these tracks long ago. So far, I've only gotten through the first CD (this is a 4 CD set) and I've found that the (A) version of Impressions on the first disk is the best I've heard. Likewise, the (A) version of Naima is the best version of this song I've heard, ever. I've been an avid Coltrane fan for over 30 years, and quite frankly, after hearing some of his stuff literally hundreds of times over the years, it loses its magic. But these new tracks are a breath of fresh air, bringing the magic back again.

BTW, Dolphy plays bass clarinet and alto on many of the tracks, and sometimes Reggie Workman plays bass instead of the usual Jimmy Garrison. Roy Haynes also plays drums on some of the tracks in place of the usual Elvin Jones.

and now for something completely different

Artist: Yosefa
cd: the desert speaks

playing now: a postcard from morocco
compose: shlomo Gronich
lyrics: meir goldberg

recorded in a Tel Aviv recording studio

as stated in the subject: something different but remarkeable easy to listen to..

J-P.

Group: 1349
Album: Beyond The Apocalypse
Genre: black metal
Sound Quality: suprisingly good, good detail, firm bass, good dynamics.
Performance: these guys are among the elite. no doubt about it.

Group: Royal Philharmonic orchestra\Prokofiev
Album: Romeo and Juliet - Highlights
Genre: Classical
Sound Quality: Simply stunning, the best i have ever heard, and should be, calling itself the audiophile edition.
Performance: grate, nothing to point my fingers at, just wonderful listening.

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Group: David Sylvian and Robert Fripp
Album: The First Day
Genre: Alt Rock, I guess...
Sound Quality: Good, but not great.
Performance: Excellent - Two perfectionists with very open minds collaborating together. I especially like "Jean the Birdman", very cool.

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Group: Over the Rhine
Album: Ohio
Genre: A tough one, these guys do Country, Gospel, R&B... so you pick.
Sound Quality: Very Good
Performance: If you like good female vocals, this album is awesome.

I'd like to suggest a sound quality scale, in ascending order:

Horrible
Very Bad
Bad
Mediocre
Average
Decent
Good
Very Good
Great
Awesome

Group: Grant Green
Album: Idle Moments (Blud Note RVG remaster)
Sound Quality: Very Good
Performance: Top Notch

Just brought this one home from the store today. What a find! This is now one of my favorite jazz albums ever. Grant Green's guitar playing is very understated, so it grows on you. Every single song on this disk is very, very good. It's hard to find this kind of consistency. Joe Henderson's tenor playing is in top form here, showing great skill, but without being "in your face" about it. Sound quality is not "audiophile reference", but is very pleasing and one of the better RVG remasters I've heard. Some of the tunes on this disk have a kind of toe-tapping, finger-snapping swing to them, yet are somewhat introspective also. I don't know how to describe this exactly, but that combined effect somehow appeals to my love of jazz on several different levels at once, where most jazz albums seem to hit just one area.

The Blue Note records web page for this disk is here. I agree with all of the positive statements of the respondents there.

On a related note, if any folks reading this are in the U.S. and interested in picking up some of the Blue Note RVG remasters, Borders has a "4 disks for the price of 3" special going now. Though their prices on some disks are a ripoff ($18.99 for Impulse Coltrane CDs), every Blue Note RVG remaster is $11.99. This puts them at 9 bucks apiece if you get four. That's a pretty good deal I think.

Group: Pink Floyd
Album: Dark side of the moon (remastered XX edition)
Genre: no idea?
Sound Quality: Some low rumbles/heartbeats throughout the album, nice punchy bass in "money". A good combination of subtle and obvious details in the song.
Performance: Pink floyd is simply amazing, though not their best album

andy_c said:
Group: Grant Green
Album: Idle Moments (Blud Note RVG remaster)
...Just brought this one home from the store today. What a find! This is now one of my favorite jazz albums ever.

When I first heard Jean de Fleur I thought I'd heard everything I needed to in Jazz in one song (not quite true, but it's still a fantastic piece of music and album!)

Group: The Arcade Fire
Album: Funeral
Genre: I hate genres; probably 'indie rock'
Sound Quality: Good to Very Good
Performance: Deeply melodic and involving music - Canada's best band by a considerable distance, IMHO.

Group: Miles Dave
Album: Miles in the sky (Miles 75 anniversary resissue)
Sound Quality: Good
Performance: Top's

On a side note:
I thought Grant Green sounded familiar, had to look up my Herbie Hancock stuff to find him though. Have to be honost, Im not a huge fan, I dont really even like Hancock so much. Its weird cuz I like a lot of other fussion, and Hancock is arguably one of the greatest, but I much prefer the stuff done with Miles Davis to Hancock on his own. I also prefer guys like Mclauphlin, Chick Corea, and Chuck Mangione.

xstephanx said:
Group: Pink Floyd
Album: Dark side of the moon (remastered XX edition)
Genre: no idea?
Sound Quality: Some low rumbles/heartbeats throughout the album, nice punchy bass in "money". A good combination of subtle and obvious details in the song.
Performance: Pink floyd is simply amazing, though not their best album

Ok so Im curious young one, what is your favorite Pink Floyd album. I'm gonna gues "The Wall" but who knows.

Also, for educational purposes, they are considered in the Genre of Rock and Roll. No doupt they have some unusual styles to them, adding dramatic broadway-esq notes and unusual orcastrations outside the normal relm of rock. However, because they use typical 3/4 4/4 times and mostly 3 chord rythems, they are considered rock and roll. I'm a fan of Floyds too by the way, especially the live performances, they will get into trance like guitar leads that go on and on, flowing ever so musicly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.