CDP-555ES Spindle motor not spinning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I really don't know what to suggest to you. There seems to be a lot going on with this player...

50C is hot but probably not excessive for a complex chip. That said it doesn't determine if that particular IC should be that hot. The best advice I can give (because it really is one of those things where you need it in front of you to see what's going on) is to look and check all the relevant system control inputs. That means making sure all the micro switches on the tray and any end sensor micro switches on the sled are working and that there input is getting to the system control IC. If the sled, or any motors, or the laser lens motor coils are being driven then look at what could be giving that command to the syscon. And make sure all supplies are correct at their destinations which means checking on all the IC's

Thanks for your reply, I'm surprised by the heat but don't have a working 555 to compare it to, the only bad thing about the service manual is a lot of the relevant values per pin on it are near impossible to read because its been copied that many times, would there be any other places I might be able to obtain a neater copy?

Found one, the manual here is a little clearer than the previous one:
SONY CDP-555ESD 705ESD SM 2 Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

So I measured the voltages to the first side 1-12.
From 1-7 I should have 0v which is almost correct till I get to between 5-7, which I get 0.3 at 5 and 6 and 0.5v at 7.
8 I get no voltage where I should have 0.4v, 9 should be 0 but I have 5v 10 should be 0.1 but I have 5v 11 and 12 should be 0v but I have around 2.45v on each and I would assume that the figures mean its idle state, i'll continue grabbing figures and post values of the other 3 sides but im starting to think that perhaps this servo chip might be bad or something feeding it is, regulator or such like perhaps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.